Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Emergency food

Re: Emergency food

In the MDS you have to take a stipulated minumum calorific intake amount (or more).

Haribo,or as it is known after 15 miles moralibo

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    I've been given the okay at fell race kit checks just carrying energy gels on longer races. Usually I'd take a Go bar with no intention of eating it.

The thing is it's supposed to be emergency food, some events will kit check some people at the end and if you've eaten all your jelly babies or all your gels, that means either you weren't carrying emergency food and were intending to eat it anyway, or you've had your emergency and should have dropped out the race, either way resulting in a disqualification.

As with all the safety equipment, there's the 'pass the kit check' kind and the 'would actually be of some use if something went wrong' kind.
    I agree with the last paragraph.

I don't agree with the second paragraph though. I don't believe you'd get disqualified in those circumstances.

If it's a medium distance race I'd take a little bit of food with no intention of eating it but I think you should comply with the spirit of the rules so four polos wouldn't be enough. If it's a long race like two and a half hours or more I think it'd be a personal thing as to how much you need to get round.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I thought 4 polo mints was the official recommendation .
    It was definetely 4 although he did offer me one. No I'm not joking!

Chris

This is my opinion about carrying kit with you:

I think it is worthwhile to remember that even if you aren't bothered about your own safety you could help someone else who is in trouble if you have the stuff. I know some people think they can get away with ignoring this, but someone else will have to sort them out if they have an accident on the fell.

Most race organisers use some common sense with the rules. Personally I don't like being required to carry kit in a short A race on a fine summer's day.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I thought 4 polo mints was the official recommendation .
    I don't want to mention a name, but he was a very good runner as well.Wonder if he reads this

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    This is my opinion about carrying kit with you:

I think it is worthwhile to remember that even if you aren't bothered about your own safety you could help someone else who is in trouble if you have the stuff. I know some people think they can get away with ignoring this, but someone else will have to sort them out if they have an accident on the fell.

Most race organisers use some common sense with the rules. Personally I don't like being required to carry kit in a short A race on a fine summer's day.
    Most injuries runners sustain don't stop them hobbling back to the start, or to a safe place.A bit of food might help some in these circumstances.

How many of us would feel like eating if we broke a bone though?In fact it wouldn't be a good idea, because an operation may be pending.

I struggle to eat anything for at least a couple of hours after a run, so carrying food is usually a waste of time, except on courses where one could be stranded in bad conditions.

Chris

The thing is though Christopher Leigh is that you aren't really a fell runner so you haven't much idea about serious challenges on the fells. If you would like to tell people on here what they do and don't need to carry to race Wasdale I am sure we'd all benefit - not!

You fell runners need to toughen up, you can survive for 30 days without food

If anything you should be taking some water with you.....
    "I train very hard, until I am sick. Sometimes I train like a foolish man who has no mind." -Hicham el-Guerrouj

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The thing is though Christopher Leigh is that you aren't really a fell runner so you haven't much idea about serious challenges on the fells. If you would like to tell people on here what they do and don't need to carry to race Wasdale I am sure we'd all benefit - not!
    How do you know I'm not Chris? Are you aware of My fell running history? What one takes seriously another doesn't, its a personal thing.

I don't tell anyone what to do, I just give an opinion.As usual though Chris you don't deal with the points I made, you just attack My character.

Just because a person has experience of certain events, doesn't mean they know whats best. The chap with the 4 Polo mints, was a very good runner, and very experienced. In his opinion 4 polo mints was all that was required for his emergency food.