Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Emergency food

Re: Emergency food

Black Combe last Saturday.......

1 SIS gel, eaten at start of last climb.

1 18 month old fun size Mars Bar, still there for next race

2 "Heroes" choccie's, still there for next race.

Longer races i carry more, usually to eat on the way.

Shorter races i don't bother unless "must carry" then its back to me mars bar & couple of sweets

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    How do you know I'm not Chris? Are you aware of My fell running history? What one takes seriously another doesn't, its a personal thing.

I don't tell anyone what to do, I just give an opinion.As usual though Chris you don't deal with the points I made, you just attack My character.

Just because a person has experience of certain events, doesn't mean they know whats best. The chap with the 4 Polo mints, was a very good runner, and very experienced. In his opinion 4 polo mints was all that was required for his emergency food.
    I posted an opinion on here and you quoted it to demolish it.

It have taken more shit from this forum than anyone has but I occasionally post something because I like the idea of sharing experiences and points of view.

You are entitled to say what you have to say, however I don't like the way you come on here and trash a bit of honest personal experience and opinion every single flipping time - which is what it is all about once you penetrate past the so-called science.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I posted an opinion on here and you quoted it to demolish it.

It have taken more shit from this forum than anyone has but I occasionally post something because I like the idea of sharing experiences and points of view.

You are entitled to say what you have to say, however I don't like the way you come on here and trash a bit of honest personal experience and opinion every single flipping time - which is what it is all about once you penetrate past the so-called science.
    Chris I really didn't demolish it.I quoted you to get a discussion going.If you think your badly done by, you ought to look at what people have said to me.

I don't mind though because I expect a lot of criticism, on a public forum with my viewpoint.

I think you've got an issue with me, because I said Paula Radcliffe and others shouldn't be allowed to compete whilst on performance enhancing drugs.

By the way, only yesterday it was reported that Gabrisalasse is asthmatic.I assume he's on the same medication as Radcliffe.Do you believe me now?

Personally i always find Chris's comments interesting and thoughtful.
    Although i have no idea myself and don't wish to be quoted on anything and will deny the existence of any such opinion if it infact exists, at all , ever.

Feel the love .................................................. ....

Is half a chicken good enough for emergency food btw or should i take the lobster too? I do find most fell races are quite poor at providing good game at the refreshment points, if only we were provided with a fine claret i feel my times would tumble. What what!

A.T. I'm not a tippler myself, but I would have thought it rather infra-dig to have fine claret in a tumbler.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    Tinned peaches, they slip down a treat !!!
    But using a tin opener whilst running is a messy affair!
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Alf......if thats a chicken from the Loftus Poultry run it'll be a bit smelly now

Just take plenty! If you've ever had an accident on the hills, 4 polos might as well be 0 polos. Not like you'd notice the weight of an extra Mars bar and a banana (would you?)

There's no point skimping to try get around the organisers, are you really going to appreciate 4 polos? Might as well be safe.
    God made the Hills!!
    Feel Awe!!
    My Blog

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Just take plenty! If you've ever had an accident on the hills, 4 polos might as well be 0 polos. Not like you'd notice the weight of an extra Mars bar and a banana (would you?)

There's no point skimping to try get around the organisers, are you really going to appreciate 4 polos? Might as well be safe.
    Dan lets say you break an ankle or leg during a race, are you really going to want to eat a Mars bar and Banana?So in that situation it's a waste of time.

What about a pulled muscle or something similar?Well most of us can keep hobbling either to the finish or a road junction for a lift.So providing you've had a good breakfast you shouldn't need any food there either.

The only situation where you would need to carry food are long isolated courses i.e Jura.Even then a Mars Bar wouldn't keep you alive for long.Having full body cover is much more important.

I usually carry sugary things for emergency food.This is because I've enough fat on My body to last a week or more.

Anyway the rules say we have to take food, so I will.Doesn't mean it always makes sense though, and it certainly doesn't to the Man with 4 polos

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Dan lets say you break an ankle or leg during a race, are you really going to want to eat a Mars bar and Banana?So in that situation it's a waste of time.

What about a pulled muscle or something similar?Well most of us can keep hobbling either to the finish or a road junction for a lift.So providing you've had a good breakfast you shouldn't need any food there either.

The only situation where you would need to carry food are long isolated courses i.e Jura.Even then a Mars Bar wouldn't keep you alive for long.Having full body cover is much more important.

I usually carry sugary things for emergency food.This is because I've enough fat on My body to last a week or more.

Anyway the rules say we have to take food, so I will.Doesn't mean it always makes sense though, and it certainly doesn't to the Man with 4 polos
    Chris I'd agree with most of that and inpaticular body cover but in your list you miss out one point and I'd have to say quite a big point.

We run in the hills in all weathers and for most of us with light weight kit. One of the potential problems is Hypothermia. This goes hand in hand with exhaustion, the way to stop/slow down or aid in the recovery of these is to eat more high energy foods. This is I would say is one of the main reason for taking 'emergency food'.

You only have to go back to last years Skyline, plenty of runners I've talked to wished they'd carried more food and suffered because they didn't. I'm sure this is something we have all come across at some point.

Emergency food also does not have to be for you, it could be for some one you come across.