Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Emergency food

Re: Emergency food

What if they were big polos?

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    A polo pony?

Is this a fell pony with a hole through it?
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Master

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Chris I'd agree with most of that and inpaticular body cover but in your list you miss out one point and I'd have to say quite a big point.

We run in the hills in all weathers and for most of us with light weight kit. One of the potential problems is Hypothermia. This goes hand in hand with exhaustion, the way to stop/slow down or aid in the recovery of these is to eat more high energy foods. This is I would say is one of the main reason for taking 'emergency food'.

You only have to go back to last years Skyline, plenty of runners I've talked to wished they'd carried more food and suffered because they didn't. I'm sure this is something we have all come across at some point.

Emergency food also does not have to be for you, it could be for some one you come across.
    I remember doing the skyline about 3 years ago, when I had the onset of a disease.The only thing was I didn't know I had it, and it made me susceptible to cold.

The weather over the first part of the course was very good, then after 1 1/2 hours it changed to hale stones and freezing winds.I struggled to get my jacket on, and didn't bother with my pants, because I just couldn't keep them straight in the wind.

I reached a check point and the marshalls offered me some jelly-babies, but I declined and just told him I had to keep moving.I knew if I stopped for sweets,even for ten seconds I'd lose a lot of heat I was producing.

Most of the food we take in doesn't digest fully for hours, so the mars bar you eat now, would probably take two hours or more to get into the system.Sugary things are much quicker, although they don't produce as much heat as fat.

two toenails

Maltloaf for me and whether it is correct science or not, it certainly works for Two Toenails. An hour into the Skyline; a chunk of maltloaf. I repeat this on a regular basis. Dead easy to eat, do it uphill when you are not running. Having a breather won't make any difference to your time.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post

Most of the food we take in doesn't digest fully for hours, so the mars bar you eat now, would probably take two hours or more to get into the system.Sugary things are much quicker, although they don't produce as much heat as fat.
    The SIS and such like gel bars are supposed to give you a near instant energy rush so are good to take during race as you (well I can) feel them kick in soon after intake but can they be classed as emergency food?

when I had the onset of a disease.The only thing was I didn't know I had it, and it made me susceptible to cold.
    Is it the same disease we have in common? I have noticed i'm more susceptible to cold and never knew why
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    I thought big Polo's were called Golfs

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    The SIS and such like gel bars are supposed to give you a near instant energy rush so are good to take during race as you (well I can) feel them kick in soon after intake but can they be classed as emergency food?
    Sports drinks and jelly babies etc have the same effect on me. Took some today on the second climb of LL and it picked me up.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    Is it the same disease we have in common? I have noticed i'm more susceptible to cold and never knew why
    Yes merrylegs.If your slightly under, your body won't be able to produce enough heat.It's not a problem now, but it was back then.My fingers used to go white.

Chris

carrying food is usually a waste of time, except on courses where one could be stranded in bad conditions.
    This is some of the wisdom you get from Christopher Leigh.

If he thinks a bit he'll have something interesting to say!