Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Old Crown Round

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Reviving an old topic here...

I'm very interested in the fell race version of this in July... In fact so much so, that I'm planning on forgetting about the Snowdon race the week before, and saving myself for this instead.

Is anyone who did the last race (2013?) able to fill me in on the checkpoint details?

The peak tops obviously, but are there others? Is Skiddaw House a checkpoint? Also exactly which tops are included? Great Cockup is one of the beers, but the map on the wanderingangus website is a bit vague and seems to miss it out, and unnecessarily take in Great Calva instead?

If anyone has any info I'd be most grateful. If not... Well I'll probably be there anyway!

Pete
    I quite fancy this too. Myself and t' missus did the Back O'Skidda LDWA route last year and had a belting day out, I should imagine this would be similar.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Skiddaw House was not a checkpoint the time I did this as an organised event - it wasn't really a race as such, just a good day out but there were some prizes and a bit of competition. But there was food provided at Skiddaw House if you wanted it, so on that occasion it was optional if you visited it or not. I didn't, taking a more direct line towards Skiddaw. Things might have changed since then.
    The checkpoints were the summits of Carrock Fell, Blencathra, Skiddaw, Great Cockup and High Pike - High Pike was an extra summit added when the brewery started producing a beer of that name, but it wasn't really out of the way as the event itself started and finished at the pub.
    Traditionally the round was run or walked as an anytime thing, visiting the summits in any order/direction/route you wanted, but without the need to go via the pub! After lots of trial and error we found that an anticlockwise round starting at the top of Swineside seemed to work well.
    Last edited by Mark G; 28-02-2017 at 08:16 PM.

The route was slightly different last time from the one Mark describes. Great Cockup was omitted, thus reducing the comedy potential of the event significantly.
    Instead, we dropped off Skiddaw to Great Calva, and then on to Knott and High Pike.
    I'm also pretty sure that Skiddaw House was a checkpoint rather than an optional refreshment point.

Up to Skiddaw, the summits were the same: Carrock, then Blencathra via Foule Crag.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Thanks for the info. Must say that if Great Calva and Knott are not cp's then I wouldn't necessarily be looking to go over the top of them...

Fantastic area and I'm looking forward to it already. Spent a decent amount of time in the vicinity during the xmas period... Did BG leg one, following day the standard up and down Skiddaw, and the next day a long trot from Mosedale back to Keswick (not seeing a soul between Mosedale and Skiddaw House)...

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    The route was slightly different last time from the one Mark describes. Great Cockup was omitted, thus reducing the comedy potential of the event significantly.
    Instead, we dropped off Skiddaw to Great Calva, and then on to Knott and High Pike.
    I'm also pretty sure that Skiddaw House was a checkpoint rather than an optional refreshment point.

Up to Skiddaw, the summits were the same: Carrock, then Blencathra via Foule Crag.
    That's interesting - how can it be 'The Old Crown Round' if it misses out one of the beers? Mind you a proper version of it would now involve Helvellyn, Catbells, Scafell, Haystacks (I think?) and there may by now be others.

the next day a long trot from Mosedale back to Keswick (not seeing a soul between Mosedale and Skiddaw House)...
    shh, don't tell everyone or it'll become as overcrowded as the rest of the Lakes. One of the places you can still go on a bank holiday weekend and have some peace and quite.
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

I've checked with the race organiser; the route is the same as 2013 - taking in Great Calva and Knott.

Yes I also emailed the organiser. Very much looking forward to this. Some interesting route choices to be had...

Master
    Yes I also emailed the organiser. Very much looking forward to this. Some interesting route choices to be had...
    Pete. you might like The Grand Tour of Skiddaw Ultra as well, late Aug or early Sept. Pure Outdoor Events website. A really nice event.

Thanks Simon...

Yes it is one i have seriously considered. Unfortunately this year it clashes with Stretton Skyline (where i have unfinished business!) and the following week is Peris, but i will look again for 2018...

Massively looking forward to the Old Crown race though, it looks a cracker.