The Old Crown pub, round the back of Skiddaw, in the village of Hesket Newmarket, is possibly one of the finiest drinking establishments in the Lake District.

It is also home to Hesket Newmarket Brewery, which produces some quality ales (Scafell Blonde, Blencathra Bitter, Carrock Fell Strong Ale to name but a few).

I was reading some info they had on the Old Crown Round; an 18-mile, 5500' route covering the summits of Great Cockup, Blencathra, Skiddaw and Carrock Fell (which just happen to be four of the beers they brew). I think the orginal route-setters walked from the pub in Hesket and had a pint at each summit courtesy of a barrel of each beer that had been taken up on a quad bike!

One can start in any place but must finish back at that point, visiting the four named summits. I think the record is around 3 hours 20 minutes. A lot of people seemed to go under 5 hours. Most started from the east at Swineside, near Mungrisedale Bridge, or at the Bridge itself. Alternatively others started on the west at Dash Falls.

To get to my point...

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THE BEST ROUTE FROM SKIDDAW SUMMIT TO BLENCATHRA SUMMIT? I figure it won't be the same as the BGR route, given one doesn't need detour up Gt Calva.