Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Crown Round

Re: Old Crown Round

I'd so like to do this, but I'm running a bit of a brownie point overdraft at the moment and I daren't enter

on my doorstep and have just entered. hooray free beer!!!
    stumpysmith

blog http://aim-adventureinmind.blogspot.com/

Fellhound

That sounds absolutely brilliant! Beer and fells - what an ace combination.

I've just entered (couldn't resist it!)
    Last edited by Fellhound; 17-10-2008 at 01:52 PM.

I'm in for this one n'all, looks to be a cracker

A possibly dim question for Wandering Aengus or anyone else who knows: on the website with details of the route it lists 10 'summits traversed'; do all ten have to be visited, or just the five beery ones? I'll probably do a recce when I'm up in the Lakes before Christmas so want to get it right!

Received from the organisers:
    Rendezvous at the Old Crown, Hesket Newmarket between 7.00 and 9.00 am. on Saturday 20 June 2009.
    All participants must register with the Marshals before starting.
    On registering, participants will be given a number and a route card which will detail all checkpoints and marshal
    points. This card will have spaces for stamps given at each of the course checkpoints and participants must
    ensure that these are stamped and that the card is handed in to marshals at the end of the event.
    Participants will have until 11.00 pm. to hand in their cards at the Old Crown in order to qualify for a recorded
    time. Please note that the route will no longer be marshalled at any point other than the finish after 10.30 pm.
    All participants MUST carry the following safety equipment:
    a) Windproof and waterproof whole body cover (jacket and overtrousers)
    b) Map and compass (a GPS device may be used IN ADDITION to map and compass)
    c) Whistle
    d) Torch (walkers only - not required for fell runners)
    e) Mobile phone – fully charged (walkers only - not required for fell runners)
    f) Emergency food
    Participants will be issued with grid references for all checkpoints and route way-points and are responsible for
    navigation between these points. Please note that except for the initial section to Wood Hall Farm, the course
    will not be marked or signed. The area of the Old Crown Round is a large upland tract, criss-crossed by various
    tracks and paths, and that while the course does make use of these tracks in part, much of the route is not on
    any definable path. Please also note that it is necessary to ford the River Caldew between Carrock and
    Bowscale Fell (though it is possible to cross on a bridge with a short but significant detour to Roundhouse).
    The following page shows the proposed route as an overview. Note that the exact route may vary.
    We look forward to seeing you at the event.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I went round this route with a club mate a couple of weeks ago. We did the four tops that made up the original Old Crown Round; Carrock Fell, Great Cockup, Skiddaw and Blencathra. We started & finished at Mungrisedale Bridge.

IT TOOK US 6 HOURS AND 15 MINS!
    Why walk when you can run.

Is entry on the day allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Is entry on the day allowed?
    'Tis an informal 'anytime' challenge, not a race or formal event.

Super Moderator

Al / Navigator, I think there's a formal event in June but guess people have / will be doing it in an informal way too Certainly looks a grand day out and it would make a great training run

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Aengus View Post
    The Old Crown Round has moved on. The Hesket Brewery now has another beer named after one of the Caldbeck Fells - High Pike - making five in all. On 20th June 2009 the 'New' Old Crown Round will be inaugurated in a mass event. In keeping with the original Round set up by Hesket Brewery founders Jim and Liz, there will be a cask of the appropriate ale or porter on each of the five summits to provide a tipple to runners and walkers, and a free pint in the Old Crown on completion. All entrants to the Round will be timed in and out and a cup will be presented to the runner with the fastest time. The round will start and finish at the Old Crown Hesket Newmarket. There will be walkers as well as runners and everyone who completes the round will get a certificate and a pint. Entry is restricted to the first 120 applicants and applications can be made on-line at www.wanderingaengustreks.com. The entry fee is £15 and all proceeds will go to the Lake District Mountain Rescue.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I think that the June event is to launch a new version of the round - starting and finishing at the pub and adding High Pike to the original 4 tops.