Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Crown Round

Re: Old Crown Round

Quote Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post
    I think that the June event is to launch a new version of the round - starting and finishing at the pub and adding High Pike to the original 4 tops.
    Yeah, and ive heard something about getting a drink of each real ale on all the summits.

Re: Old Crown Round

The Navigator is right, to celebrate 21 years of brewing the Old Crown Round is being updated to include the new beer High Pike. Also to make the times comparable the June event will start and finish at the pub rather than just any random point. Al Fowler has heard right too, there will be a taster of the appropriate ale on each of the five summits - just a taster mind - we intend to raise some money for the Mountain Rescue Team not give them extra work. There will be a pint waiting at the pub on completion.

Old Crown Round Update

The organisers of the Old Crown Round have been approached by the National Park Authority on behalf of 'Natural England' who are concerned about the impact of the event on rare birds which they believe might still be nesting on some parts of the route during June. We have been asked to consider rescheduling the event until after the possible nesting period of the birds which can extend up to July 20th.

While we are not entirely happy with the prospect of postponing the event with all the disruption that this will inevitably entail, we never-the-less feel that it would be irresponsible of us to ignore this request, based as it is on the conservation of rare birds within a site of special scientific interest.

We have therefore reluctantly agreed to postpone the event to Saturday July 25th. For those who have already signed up for the Old Crown Round, please accept our apologies for this postponement and we hope your diaries are not already full so that you will still be able to take part on this new date.

Though entry was closed some time ago having reached the maximum of 120 entrants, this postponement will inevitably lead to some people dropping out of the event and once we have processed the preferences of those already signed up, it is likely that entry will reopen. Therefore if you missed the June date and can make July 25th, please watch the progress at http://www.wanderingaengustreks.com/Old-Crown-Round.htm. We will re0pen entries if we receive any cancellations.

Fellhound

Re: Old Crown Round Update

Impact on rare birds nesting? Are they taking the p... or what? This is the thin end of a wedge which has very serious implications for our sport. I hope dialogue is taking place between the FRA (on our behalf) and all these self-appointed guardians of the countryside.

Fellhound

The Noor has felt the need to PM me on this issue thus:

"Why are you being so arsey over this issue? You ask if they are 'taking the p***', yet you seem to have an attitude of "I don't give a sh*t what people think, I'll do what I like , who cares if I destroy the sensitive environment and harm wildlife in the process." What an amazingly thoughtless and selfish line of thinking....!

Possibly you know something I don't....

I'm amazed!"

(edited by Fellhound to moderate bad language)

Apart from being a major over-reaction and rather insulting, this message illustrates that many people are far too willing to just accept the pseudo-environmental dogma that is now regularly trotted out by "conservationists".
    Last edited by Fellhound; 22-04-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Hi there,

In support of the organisers, I heard some years ago that the Saunders mountain marathon would not be held in this area for the same reason.

Fellhound

My original comment was not an attack on the organisers. They have tried to be as flexible as possible. It's Natural England who have set their faces against the event taking place (on the scheduled date anyway) - a recurring theme, in the Lakes, in Bowland, ..where next?
    Last edited by Fellhound; 23-04-2009 at 05:45 PM.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fellhound View Post
    It's Natural England who have set their faces against the event taking place - a recurring theme, in the Lakes, in Bowland, ..where next?

The organisers of the Old Crown Round have been approached by the National Park Authority on behalf of 'Natural England' who are concerned about the impact of the event on rare birds which they believe might still be nesting on some parts of the route during June. We have been asked to consider rescheduling the event until after the possible nesting period of the birds which can extend up to July 20th.

I can see rescheduling but i cant see where Natural England say the event can`t take place or am i missing something (no need to answer) as i have no intention of being drawn into a pointless debate, as i am 100% behind the Noor, The organisers and Natural england and as long as commonsense prevails amoungst all parties concerned then our sport should survive.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Fellhound

Well I'm not the only one to have concerns about increasing restrictions imposed by (insert name of conservation body here) and it's not the first event to run into this kind of problem this year.

I ask a simple question: how much impact does our tiny sport really have? This is a low key event with likely a smallish field. Let's have a sense of perspective.

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    ...i have no intention of being drawn into a pointless debate
    Strange that you should enter it then....