Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Crown Round

Re: Old Crown Round

Went round the other Sunday (well as far as Skiddaw anyway)...
    I'd previously looked at the direct line off Carrock but it's a b***** for hidden boulders. This time I over to Round Knott (3425 33740) and down the scree towards the ridge on Bowscale... DON'T DO IT! It's a bad line! Dense chest high gorse on the lower slopes! Keep over to the west!

I'll doubtless see you all on Saturday as you pass me! I'm taking it easy and going round as a walker.

Old Crown Round this week

Im up in the Lakes from tonight until Saturday and intend taking on the "Old Crown Round" Carrock fell, Great Cock up, Skidaw, Blencathra.

Any one interesting in joining me, Could make it Thursday Friday or possibly Saturday.

Dale

Super Moderator

Re: Old Crown Round this week

Moorlander, I've informally arranged to meet Hank from here for a BG training run on Saturday. Not sure if he's interested but I am. I'll discuss with him and revert. I could only do Saturday but flexible with starting time
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Moorlander View Post
    Im up in the Lakes from tonight until Saturday and intend taking on the "Old Crown Round" Carrock fell, Great Cock up, Skidaw, Blencathra.

Any one interesting in joining me, Could make it Thursday Friday or possibly Saturday.

Dale
    Lovely route mate, hope the weather holds, am working then XC Sat pm, otherwise......

Auld Ken x

Super Moderator

Saturday, starting early-ish is a possibility for both me and Hank
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 23-03-2011 at 12:41 PM.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Master

Hi Dale

I have been interested in this for a while now as another to get done. I am up in the lakes for a week commencing Sunday 17th April and might take it in then. If you dont get it done are you around that week? If you do get it done are you still around that week? Off to Wales Sunday with Jon W and Ant Bethell for a Paddy recce

Simon

On my bucket list for later on in the summer. My mate did it two years ago and set me a time to beat. looks like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorlander View Post

Dale
    Dont forget High Pike - not on the original route but it is now!
    If you aren't starting and finishing at the pub I suggest going from the bridge at the top of Swineside - then Carrock, High Pike, Cockup, drop off the side then to Skiddaw via a traverse to just above Whitewater dash, then Blencathra. It means you can take advantage of fresh legs to do quite a bit of running as far as Whitewater Dash, then its just two steady climbs and two fast descents (Go diagonnally from Skiddaw, pass just above and behind Skiddaw house leaving it on your left, use the track for half a mile to the gate then take a diagonal climbing line up Blencathra. There are some good lines that aren't obvious and avoid paths for big chunks of the route. Good luck, hope you enjoy it - there used to be a book in the pub to enter completions, not sure if they still have it..
    Last edited by Mark G; 23-03-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks for the tips Mark, I wasnt awhere that High Pike had been added. I did do it about 5 years ago as part of the Lakes GL3D day 2 but we started and finished at burns Farm and I wasnt naviagting so cant remember to much of the route.

Looks like the weather is set fair so I will go Early Friday . Will let you know how it goes

ps - Sorry DT and Hank but Saturday is out - problem with weekend logistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    Dont forget High Pike - not on the original route but it is now!
    If you aren't starting and finishing at the pub I suggest going from the bridge at the top of Swineside - then Carrock, High Pike, Cockup, drop off the side then to Skiddaw via a traverse to just above Whitewater dash, then Blencathra. It means you can take advantage of fresh legs to do quite a bit of running as far as Whitewater Dash, then its just two steady climbs and two fast descents (Go diagonnally from Skiddaw, pass just above and behind Skiddaw house leaving it on your left, use the track for half a mile to the gate then take a diagonal climbing line up Blencathra. There are some good lines that aren't obvious and avoid paths for big chunks of the route. Good luck, hope you enjoy it - there used to be a book in the pub to enter completions, not sure if they still have it..

Hi Simon - will check on the 17th, . Im still thinking of making Sunday myself so may see you down there..