Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Metric Fell Running

Metric Fell Running

I was very impressed by the sensible arguments expressed by Martin Hyman on the letters page of the latest issue of Fellrunner. Stated this way, it’s the logical solution to a problem which, really, should no longer be with us, it would make all our lives, runners and organisers alike, much, much easier and, to be honest, it’s a very refreshing change from the sort of prehistoric nonsense spouted by some of the dinosaurs in the FRA in the past. It’s all right being madly in love with miles, feet and inches, but when you can’t easily use these units because they are no longer on the map, then it’s time to move on.

Come on FRA – wake up and smell the millimetres.

Re: Metric Fell Running

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    You mean catch up with the Scottish?
    Just so!

Our Caledonian neighbours have always had the sense to make use of new features and improvements effectively - though I never quite understood the appeal of running a race with the saltire plastered across your mush (see photo of Angela in GrahamB's fawning article).

One point about metric units is that kids these days actually understand them. In fact many youngsters don't know or even want or need to know about imperial measurements.

So, if the FRA really is serious about wanting to attract young blood into the sport, then the sport should be going metric PDQ.

Master and MR

good point good point , i prefer the old scale even though i can easily use both metric and imperial.
    ive just got used to looking at the calendar and roughly knowing what to expect in imperial when i get to a race.

youngsters really should be able to convert though, i get sick of converting drawings from america that are still all imperial, the yanks wont change for anything.

Aye - it was a bold move last year by Chris U et al to go metric. Nice that everyone on the committee supported it. I think the classifications are still based on imperial origins so I think Martin's suggestions in this area completely make sense.

I like the metric thing but I'm conditioned to think in min/mile pace. My run log is also imperial. I need to sort myself out!

BTW Angela was facepainted as it was a Carnethy 5 race - have a look at the history here http://www.carnethy.com/ri_c5.htm#March
    Don Naylor runs every year in a kilt as well!

Cheers,

Derek/

The Irish went metric ages ago:
    http://imra.ie/?sec1=events

And the OS went metric with their 1:50,000 maps about 30 years ago, as far as I remember.

I can't see any justification for quoting heights in feet for hill races, since all maps these days have metric spot heights and contour lines.

It would be more consistent if all races were quoted in metric units, to correspond with the 1:50,000 maps that most people use.

I don't know if it's true, but I did hear of a race organiser submitting race details in metric - only to find that the Calendar Editor (I think it was old Jonesie in those days, not Marg) had converted to imperial prior to publication!

I'm glad to read that most people do seem to have a sensible view here. Personally, as an oldie, I don't think the issue of moving away from Imperial is much of a problem.

It would be great to see next year's FRA Handbook fully metric, wouldn't it?

I think going metric is a great idea. It would take us about half a season to get used to it, but after that we'd be fine.

It also might prompt some race organisers to remeasure courses, leading to more accurate distances and heights - but that's a different topic.

So are we going to have to change the name of our club's new race?

http://www.ochilhillrunners.org.uk/s...aspx?id=o2000R

I think the "Ochil 610's plus Dumyat" has a certain ring to it!