Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Runs in North Wales

Re: Runs in North Wales

Thanks again everyone for all your help and support

Quote Originally Posted by Fellrunner View Post
    why not start the race half an hour before the race officially starts?
    Can you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Fellrunner View Post
    you'll find it already marked out
    Hadn't realised it would be marked out - does that mean i shouldn't get lost?

I still really want to give this race a go but my confidence was knocked a bit yesterday . I did 4.2 miles up Offa's Dyke from Prestatyn yesterday and really struggled. I had to keep stopping and walking - and not just on the hills. My heart rate was continually high and my pace wasn't fast. It took me about 55 mins and the total ascent was about 850feet.

Perhaps I'm trying to do too much too soon. I've trained a lot this week - 2 x 5 mile runs earlier in the week on top of circuit classes and weights. I was really pleased after the Tuesday run - 5.5 miles and 800 feet of ascent in 55 mins. I did have to walk up lots of the main hill though .

My trainer acknowledges that I will struggle with the long slog up Moel Famau but the rest should be relatively easy for me. My time would be slow but I should manage it (eventually )

Louisa, a good 'milestone' to aim for in your training schedule is ydt's Arenig Fawr race on the last weekend in September ( 28th, I think, this year ). It is all flagged and there is usually a 'sweeper' ( yours truly ) at the back of the field, picking up the flags and making sure that no-one is left on the hill. 2007 we shadowed a young American girl around the course who was having her first fell race - everyone has to start somewhere. There are some really fit super stars in fell running - Rob Jebb, Lloyd Taggart, Simon Bailey & many others - but it is not an exclusive club. Just compete & complete - beat the hill and you are a winner. Does not really matter if someone else beats the hill in a faster time than you!
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 20-03-2008 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    a good 'milestone' to aim for in your training schedule is ydt's Arenig Fawr race on the last weekend in September
    Thanks. That does sound a good one to aim for.

Following a week away skiing, eating and drinking too much I've decided not to do the Llangynhafal Loop next weekend.

Before I went on holiday I did a loop from the Moel Famau car park, along and up the gully which the race goes up, and back down to Offa's Dyke path. 7k and 1116 feet of ascent. I really enjoyed it and it took me 1 hour and 8 minutes which I wasn't unhappy with, but I had to walk most of the way up and my average heart rate was 173bpm.

Even though I'd probably over trained that week, and was tired, I think I'm not quite ready to take the plunge and do a race yet. I'm going to practice a lot more and any suggestions for runs in June or July would still be welcome.

Thanks again everyone
    Louisa
    Last edited by Louisa; 30-03-2008 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Bad spelling!

hiya

I have produced a list of every race I can find which is about 90 minutes drive from our running club (Helsby). Yourself , or anyone in fact, can email if they want a copy. Just send an email to [email protected] with a request and i'll send one back. It will include all road races, fell races and multi terrain races that I have come across.

It might help and it's in date order so easy to see at a glance what is on each weekend and where,

regards
    http://helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/

i'll risk it for a biscuit

:w00t:

Louisa
    I like fell running too and I'm so slow I don't enter races at the moment.
    So far I've done two, the Cloud 9 near Congleton (I think I came about 2/3 down the girls) and one at Moel Famau (came 75 out of 79 or something).
    I don't mind coming last, I mind being ridiculously behind that everyone has to wait for me.
    I'm trying to do more running on hills by finding routes in walking books in the area, then running instead of walking. Normally I struggle to find people to run with who like hills but go as slowly as me... good to hear that there are more of us!

Quote Originally Posted by stumped View Post
    I don't mind coming last, I mind being ridiculously behind that everyone has to wait for me.
    My sentiments exactly!

I'm trying to do more running on hills by finding routes in walking books in the area, then running instead of walking.
    I'm practicing by attempting to run routes which I've previously walked. I'm fine on the flat and downhill but can walk faster uphill than I can run

Normally I struggle to find people to run with who like hills but go as slowly as me
    Perhaps we should get together sometime! I have found a friend who is interested in giving fell running a go so that will be good. It's just difficult finding a time when we're both free! I suppose it will be easier as it stays light longer and the weather improves.

... good to hear that there are more of us!
    Definitely makes me feel better so thanks for posting

I'll keep practising and hopefully will be back on this forum soon saying I'm entering a local race
    L

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa View Post
    I'm fine on the flat and downhill but can walk faster uphill than I can run
    That's not unusual Louisa! One thing you'll pick up on as you get more into fell running is that walking is actually an integral part of the game and not a failure!

Things like the ascent of the Moel Fammau gully are un-runnable for 99.9% of the field and if you watch any steep fell race you'll see the stars of the game having a walk now and again on the steep rough bits.

Just run where you can, walk when you need to (or when you think it's faster!) and you'll be doing just the same as the rest of us!!

Smile Re: Runs in North Wales

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Louisa, a good 'milestone' to aim for in your training schedule is ydt's Arenig Fawr race on the last weekend in September ( 28th, I think, this year ). It is all flagged and there is usually a 'sweeper' ( yours truly ) at the back of the field, picking up the flags and making sure that no-one is left on the hill. 2007 we shadowed a young American girl around the course who was having her first fell race - everyone has to start somewhere. There are some really fit super stars in fell running - Rob Jebb, Lloyd Taggart, Simon Bailey & many others - but it is not an exclusive club. Just compete & complete - beat the hill and you are a winner. Does not really matter if someone else beats the hill in a faster time than you!

OK. Having dithered all summer, I'm finally considering taking the plunge and entering this race . Everyone I train with says I'm capable of doing it. They're even trying to persuade me to do the Pen fell race. I'm running out of excuses . Can anyone tell me what times do the slowest people do the Arenig Fawr race in usually? Can I enter on the day or do I need to do it in advance? Any other advice welcome. Thanks

Details and results for the last two years,

http://yiannistridimas.tripod.com/

You can ONLY enter on the day!!!!

There are no excuses....

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Details and results for the last two years
    That's really helpful. Thank you .

You can ONLY enter on the day!!!!
    Oh dear that might be a bad thing - easier to back out, especially if the weather's bad.

There are no excuses....
    But I'm an expert in excuses - I can talk myself out of, or into, anything. I really want to do this though. I think I'm ready to take the plunge . Hopefully once I've done one race the second will be easier (to enter, not necessarily to run)