Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Runs in North Wales

Re: Runs in North Wales

Thanks everyone for all the help and encouragement. It's great to feel so welcome .

I now have a map and a plan. I guess I do just need to get on with it now . Hopefully (husband permitting ) I should get over to recce the Moel Famau route on Friday so at least I'll know where I'm going if I pluck up courage to enter - as well as having some idea of whether I can manage it.

In the meantime, off running with my circuit class tonight. Hopefully he'll take us up a nice big hill so I can practice

I'll look out for some more local runs. I love the idea of Snowdon - the Watkin path is my favourite but I'm not sure I'm up to running it yet.

Louisa, when you recce the route on Friday do not become put off entering by the big climb up Moel Famau. It is tough. Do not think that you should be able to run all the way up to the top or even halfway. I am sure that most of the field will spend a great deal of time walking up, cursing themselves for entering. I know I do! Yet I keep coming back again and again.

Thanks Fortinbras. I'll try not to . Perhaps I would be better leaving it until the day and just practising on other steep hills. The problem then is I worry about getting lost - especially if I'm on my own at the back .

I'm taking the map of the route to show one of the trainers at the gym tonight. He knows my running and that I stuggle up hills but he'd said he tell me whether I'm up to it. He pushes me really hard, so even if he says 'yes, go for it' I'm know it'll be a challenge .

I ran 5 miles in circuit class last night fairly easily. the only snag is that the total ascent was only 300 feet

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa View Post
    Thanks Fortinbras. I'll try not to . Perhaps I would be better leaving it until the day and just practising on other steep hills. The problem then is I worry about getting lost - especially if I'm on my own at the back .
    Here are last year's results if that's any help. Don't worry about getting lost and just follow the others near you. You'll need to be slower than 83 minutes to be sure of coming last

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    You'll need to be slower than 83 minutes to be sure of coming last
    I might be! The last 10k I did took me just over an hour and that was relatively flat! This is about 8K (I think)with a massive climb . I'm not sure how much hills affect my time.

You will have to have a recce or sumet like that

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Louisa, if you're worried about getting lost &/or taking a long time at the Llangynhafal race why not start the race half an hour before the race officially starts? This way you'll find it already marked out & shouldn't be the last finisher.

Good luck & welcome to fellrunning.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

That would be even more scary having you charging up from behind frightening the living daylights out of the poor lass, she'll never want to do another one. At least I'll have someone to keep me company at the back.

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    That would be even more scary having you charging up from behind frightening the living daylights out of the poor lass, she'll never want to do another one. At least I'll have someone to keep me company at the back.
    Cheers for that jimbob .

I'm hoping to be doing the Mourne Mountains that day which could slow me down a bit for the Helsby BL on the Sunday.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

have you done the Helsby BL before fellrunner? I haven't run that one yet as was cancelled due to snow when I first joined the club!
    http://helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/

i'll risk it for a biscuit

:w00t: