Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ramsay Round Shortcuts

Ramsay Round Shortcuts

There's lots of info about shortcuts & route choices for the Bob Graham, but I've not found anything at all for the Ramsay Round. There's a handy website but it's short on route details: http://www.ramsaysround.com
    Steve Fallon has nifty route descriptions for doing Nevis & the Mamores (e.g. http://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/nevisroute.html) but it's not aimed at the Ramsay Round, more long runs in the hills, so it's not quite the right route and it's the wrong way round for the Mamores (assuming you do it clockwise).

For example, can you bypass Na Gruagaichean's West top on the south side? Is it possible to avoid the scrambling on An Garbhanach by sticking low in the Corrie and climbing up to the col? From Sgurr a Mhaim can you contour below the Devils Ridge to the col with Stob Ban? What route do you use to get up The Ben?

I'm on holiday in Glen Nevis in June so I'll be doing some reccies :-)

Re: Ramsay Round Shortcuts

I did the mammores from glen nevis last summer and was tempted to contour from the lochan to the notch in the ridge below sgurr mhaim but bottled out. it does look like one of the few genuine short cuts though. the lack of info is probably a good thing though, a complete contrast to the BG

Joe a friend of mine has been recceing the route for her attempt in May, She's not on the forum but I'll copy your request on an email to her and she if she know any thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    There's lots of info about shortcuts & route choices for the Bob Graham, but I've not found anything at all for the Ramsay Round. There's a handy website but it's short on route details: http://www.ramsaysround.com
    Steve Fallon has nifty route descriptions for doing Nevis & the Mamores (e.g. http://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/nevisroute.html) but it's not aimed at the Ramsay Round, more long runs in the hills, so it's not quite the right route and it's the wrong way round for the Mamores (assuming you do it clockwise).

For example, can you bypass Na Gruagaichean's West top on the south side? Is it possible to avoid the scrambling on An Garbhanach by sticking low in the Corrie and climbing up to the col? From Sgurr a Mhaim can you contour below the Devils Ridge to the col with Stob Ban? What route do you use to get up The Ben?

I'm on holiday in Glen Nevis in June so I'll be doing some reccies :-)

Na Gruagaichean: You can contour the SW side, it is rough in parts but saves some ascent. That is what I usually do.

An Garbhanach: When the path E of Stob Coire a'Chairn turns W up the coll, carry on round An Garbhanach. Do not climb too early or you will be forced down by lots of crags. The diagonal ascent to An Gearanach is very steep. I did it in my solo round but wouldn't recommend it, it is messy. The scramble is probably better particularly in bad visibility.

Sgurr a Mhaim: I prefer the contour route both clockwise and anticlockwise. Come back down the path most of the way and descend steep grassy gully. Contour below all the crags on the left. Half way round you will be forced below your target (Lochan Coire Nam Miseach) by a low rock outcrop. Cross stream below the lochan end make your way up to the path to Stob Ban.
    You can also contour a bump on the ridge after Stob Ban (on the SE side) if visibility ok. It is rough.
    Yiannis

As well as those suggested by Yiannis there are also a couple of shortcuts I took in the Grey corries. Round the south side of Sgurr Choinnich Beag and the south side of Stob Coire Easian (also a great source of water when I did my round).

Thanks guys - some great tips here :-)

There are two shortcuts I've discounted - going east of the Devils Ridge between Sgurr an Iubhair and Sgurr a Mhaim, and bypassing the scramble back from An Gearanach on the west side - both because it looks like you have to drop too low.

I've found http://peoplesmap.com/ very useful as it has aerial photography of the whole UK - where most sites don't have anything for the Highlands.

I'm going up for a recce the weekend after next so have a couple of questions.

1. What is the best way from Stob Ban to Stob Coire Easain?

2. Coming off Stob a Choire Mheadhion to Loch Treig I noticed there is a forest track that leads to the dam, is it quicker to drop down near the start of this track by Creagan an Fhithich or carry on along the ridge?

3. Best way off Chno Dearg to Beinn na Lap.

4. On the descent of Mullach nan Coirean has anyone tried the direct into Coire Raibhach or is it better to stick with the NE ridge?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    I'm going up for a recce the weekend after next so have a couple of questions.

1. What is the best way from Stob Ban to Stob Coire Easain?

2. Coming off Stob a Choire Mheadhion to Loch Treig I noticed there is a forest track that leads to the dam, is it quicker to drop down near the start of this track by Creagan an Fhithich or carry on along the ridge?

3. Best way off Chno Dearg to Beinn na Lap.

4. On the descent of Mullach nan Coirean has anyone tried the direct into Coire Raibhach or is it better to stick with the NE ridge?
    Hi Bill

1) On Nickys ramsey we crossed headed just south of east down the ridge and crossed the burn at NN 28728 72693 and basically wnet east to NN 28728 72693. some had said go a little south to skirt the rocks but we had no problem heading straight up.

2) follow rigde to Meall Cian cairn NE corner. from here there is a 'path' via piller to track at NN 28728 72693.

3) head to Sron Ruadh and down blunt ridge at end southerly then SE. there was a nice snow field here when we did it (This time last year) straight across and pick a gully and straight up to ridge.

4) no not tried that but would be very rough. good path down NE ridge. N ridge is definately slower. from the forest track go SOUTH EAST 0.2 miles to fire break descend this to lower track and follow do not go to road as this means more climbing. From slight bend at 131 707 descend to road.

Can't say this is certainly the best way but we couldn't find any thing better.

Bill,
    1. A agree with Ian's directions. On the way up S.C. Easain just pick the best way through the rough ground.
    2. As Ian said follow the ridge path and cross the plateau to the steep end of Meall Cian Dearg, descend (path) and follow path NE past pillar, across stream and over boggy ground to join track at about NN346771 (Ian's bearing is as for item 1). You can short-cut the track hairpin and drop down to the dam.
    3. I prefer to go along the Sron Ruadh spur part way, then drop right into the hanging valley to cross the stream at the point where the slope starts getting steep. Follow deer trods in the heather in a S direction to cross Allt Feith Thuill and then pick the best line up to the the ridge to B. na Lap.
    4.As Ian said, follow the ridge path and carry on along the fence, etc....I have always stayed on the forest track until the obvious path branching off at NN127713 near the farm house, over stile and road.

Can you update me (email) with date and schedule? There is a chance I might be able to support you.
    Yiannis

Bill

Enjoy your recce and good luck with your attempt

In terms of your questions I would suggest that you decide exactly how you will descend to Fersit and off the Mamores to Glen Nevis before the day.

In terms of the descent to Fersit the route I took is as described previously. Basically just before the cairn / pillar there is a path descending right. I hit the reservoir road before the dam wall - it seemed quicker to me. You can then cross the reservoir on the sand if the level is low.

Stob Ban to the Easains, the route I took was basically straight across. You can start by descending the path off stob ban but then you need to go into the heathland. There is a deer track up the left hand side of Allt Ruigh na Braoileig which makes the ascent easier.

and off the mullach there were some cairns built last year. I would suggest that you stay on the ridge and then follow the path into the forest. Turn right when you hit the first forest road and then descend through the woods (rough and overgrown but OK if you know your exact route!!) at the first cairn (100yds or so). Follow the forest track to the shortest point through the woods to the road (near the cattlegrid roughly 132706)

Cheers

Jon