Page 10 of 65 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Mickleden Straddle

Re: Mickleden Straddle

I'll be there, done it about 6 times now. The weathers is not always sunny but a great route whatever the conditions.

Theres loads of work ongoing to the paths in the area at the moment - both through the plantation and on cut gate - might need road shoes next year???!

Quote Originally Posted by piglet View Post
    Theres loads of work ongoing to the paths in the area at the moment - both through the plantation and on cut gate - might need road shoes next year???!
    and this is the reason i have decided not to do the race next year been in the area a couple of times recently, including this morning, and all i can say is that they (?) are ruining the area by putting in the paths and slab stones higher up cut gate.... a real shame. i know its all to do with access rights for ALL people..but there is a limit surely. wait until you go up there and you will see what i mean
    Hard Work, Hard Training and Suffering...Race Easy

Graeme

That's really disappointing i was hoping to do this as the first race of the year. I don't think I'll bother now

Oh bugger, it used to be fun running faster than those on bikes over there.

Red face Re: Mickleden Straddle

Oops - didnt want to put people off doing it
    Theres a notice about some of the path not being finished untill Easter!! It could be loads different up there though in 2009. Im annoyed anyway cos im stuck at work while the rest of my club are doing our winter handicap up there today Hope it went well guys

Have noticed over the last year some path "improvements" so as to try and halt some of the erosion. It had to happen at some point really since the number of folk (walkers/runners/bikers etc) out there, especially on weekends, can be quite something.

I did hear a 'rumour' that after last year's race the route was going to be changed(?). I guess the subsequent modifications to the paths (i.e. paving) mean that there is no need to miss out or cater for the most badly eroded sections anymore.

Yes, the amount of road/paved track on this one is creeping up year by year....

two toenails

It was one of the best places to go for a "lonely" run. I don't know what the plan is for the area but I don't like the look of it. What ARE those patches of concrete for? Will there be a ski lift to Cut Gate?
    I HATE paving! Why oh why do cyclists attempt this course? I can walk faster! Make a course for them in the woods, well away from us fell runners.
    Does anyone know what the final plan is?
    Is it part of Disney World PLC?

Will DDT continue to use the course as it is?

It really has put me off running it.

must say the changes will deffo take the edge off the race (for me anyway)but i will do the race next year to see how much i have improved,should be loads quicker if they have laid more slabs.

[quote=two toenails;93225]
    It was one of the best places to go for a "lonely" run.

I don't know what the plan is for the area but I don't like the look of it.

/quote]

if you go on up to Outer edge and beyond... then you often have the moors to yourself...just beware of the bogmonsters...oh and dont tell anyone else

im worried that the final plan, as (some of) the area is owned by yorkshire water, is that they are trying to create a network of walkers (in non sensible shoes) paths, as with other areas in the yorkshire region. you may get some idea if you look on the various information signs dotted around the area showing the available routes around langsett, this would give you a good idea as to where the extent of the concrete is likely to be . also check out the YW website to get some idea as to the extent of there plans

http://www.yorkshirewater.com/?OBH=4984
    and
    http://www.yorkshirewater.com/recreation/

i mean, they are even doing audio guides.....

still too upset to post anymore
    Hard Work, Hard Training and Suffering...Race Easy