Thread: Junior Distances 14+

Junior Distances 14+

We are hoping to add a Junior race to our Litton Christmas Cracker in 2018. The age would be 14+ on race day to -18. Does anyone know the max distance these ages are allowed to run? Super route that is part of the LCC. It will be a great addition to the FRA junior calendar. A route that will be tried and tested by our brilliant Buxton AC juniors to ensure a brilliant and fun racing route.

Page 13 of the FRA 2017 Handbook.
    Maximum distance for 14 on day is 7 kilometres.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    Page 13 of the FRA 2017 Handbook.
    Maximum distance for 14 on day is 7 kilometres.
    Thank you. That is perfect! :-)

Hi RTS,
    Totley AC have altered Blacka Moor Chase this year so it's now 6.7km enabling 14+ years to run.
    You'll have to let the Buxton team know :-D
    Steve F

Quote Originally Posted by stevee9 View Post
    Hi RTS,
    Totley AC have altered Blacka Moor Chase this year so it's now 6.7km enabling 14+ years to run.
    You'll have to let the Buxton team know :-D
    Steve F
    Excellent news :-) have put it on the Junior site. Thank you

Ok, we are doing a test race of the Litton Christmas Elf on the Cracker date 18th February. Just a few of our Buxton AC 14+ lads and lasses. 6.25k with 286mts of total climbing. Super route, tough but we think they will love it. Full kit required but will be marked so navigation not an issue. I will pop the route map up a little later when MrRTS has done his route buddy magic :-)
    Does that all sound ok? Have we made any glaring issues?
    This 1st one is just to see how it pans out, only the Buxton AC young people will be having a go. Free to enter but we will give prizes including the Thomas Theyer Cup to 1st male and female. Will go off at 10.30 before the main race at 11am.
    Could do with some expertise to let us know if you notice any problems.

RTS, you are probably already aware, from organising the LCC senior event, that you cannot advertise an event as 'fully flagged/marked'.
    I think it is something along the lines of, "If you had a flag (say) every 10 metres and the clag reduced visibility to 5 metres; then the flagging/marking would effectively become null & void and only act as confirmation of the route as each flag was located by each competitor."
    Even the best flagged courses are only promoted as being 'Part Marked' or 'PM'.
    Apologies for being pedantic; but better safe than sorry, so to speak.

Ian Roberts, Bowland Fell Runners.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    RTS, you are probably already aware, from organising the LCC senior event, that you cannot advertise an event as 'fully flagged/marked'.
    I think it is something along the lines of, "If you had a flag (say) every 10 metres and the clag reduced visibility to 5 metres; then the flagging/marking would effectively become null & void and only act as confirmation of the route as each flag was located by each competitor."
    Even the best flagged courses are only promoted as being 'Part Marked' or 'PM'.
    Apologies for being pedantic; but better safe than sorry, so to speak.

Ian Roberts, Bowland Fell Runners.
    Thanks for that. I didn't realise that no. Glad I put it on here as I knew it's here I would get the expertise :-) That is great. I will call it part marked. We are going to marshal the hell out of it too. The one this year is just a tester but hoping it will become a new fixture for the Juniors from Dec 9th 18 opened to other Clubs 14-18. We do hope though that our Buxton Juniors win it every year ;-)