Page 11 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Mickleden Straddle

Re: Mickleden Straddle

Hi Piglet, SS, Jan et al.

I will be going on this if the team don't need me to marshal. The back of the loop remains unchanged and the new path is still heavy going, will defo be fast in 2009, last chance to get up here before it totally changes.

See you there on the day Ian. Now need get some recces in beforehand to burn off the Christmas stodge.

Will Plumbum be taking part or marshalling on the day?

Times move on, and maybe I'll find something else for 2009 if there isn't a new appealing course, but I'll be there next year.

I must admit that I preferred the route before the introduction of the long stretches of track at the start and finish that came with the move to Langsett Barn.

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    See you there on the day Ian. Now need get some recces in beforehand to burn off the Christmas stodge.

Hi jan
    I'm pretty sure he will want to be running as will perhaps 3-4 others from the team.

Perhaps we could get a Forum reccie going, how about 5-6th Jan, any takers? or if anyone is interested I'll come up with a longer more interesting varient that will miss the earlier new paths,

Hiya Ian,

A recce on that weekend would be ideal. Will post a thread to see if there are any takers. Form is not great so I'd be in the "slower" group (if there is one!). Done recces with Denby Dale in the past so that'll be great.

I've done this race for the last couple of years & really enjoyed it (despite getting injured last year & not running for a month afterwards!). However, I'm sorely tempted by the Long Mynd Valleys race this year, and the new flag stones will definitely affect my decision. We'll see nearer the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post

Should be "running" it.
    Not my favourite way onto / over Howden Edge but DDT deserve our local support.
    Path condition west side of Brookhouse Bridge was less than good the other day , the resurfacing hasn't enhanced the path yet, I believe more has to be done.
    Can anyone shed light on the concrete slab installed East side of Brookhouse Bridge?
    Not sure about this weekends recce, don't feel it warrants a prior visit, also possible trip to lakes for a Joss Naylor recce.

I reckon the concrete slab refered to is actually the base for a mobile phone mast. This will ensure adequate coverage of the area as all recreational users will soon be forcerd to carry a phone in case they get into difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    I reckon the concrete slab refered to is actually the base for a mobile phone mast. This will ensure adequate coverage of the area as all recreational users will soon be forcerd to carry a phone in case they get into difficulties.
    Although not on the route itself the lower path through the wood from Langsett Barn has been destroyed and replaced with a path thats smoother than the road outside my house and is nearly as wide. My best guess is the concrete is to build a bandstand or a play area with swings and slides. the once beautiful woods are more akin to a public park and as such I will not be running through that part of the woods again

Just to the right as you descend to the Bridge there use to be a narrow (30cms) wide stone bridge over a little stream with a narrow path leading round the corner to the little Don valley. This has been Bulldozed away and replace with 2 huge bridges approx 20 ft apart. If they start to extend the path up the Little Don I for one will be there protesting.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    If they start to extend the path up the Little Don I for one will be there protesting.

seems as the 'improvements' are generally (although from a small minority group) being viewed in a negative light

maybe some contact should be made to the people responsible for the works in progress to try and find out what the extent of the work is likely to be, why it is being undertaken (for what specific purpose) and as to what consultation was taken and more importantly with who

this may also clear up the mystery concrete slab debate ?

my guess is that it is for a winching station to be used fro dragging all the tired straddlers who are still carrying too much christmas pud up from the stone bridge

i will keep you all posted with what i find out
    Hard Work, Hard Training and Suffering...Race Easy