Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Mickleden Straddle

Re: Mickleden Straddle

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Or Penis town as my 11 year old son insists on calling it (usually while rolling round in tears on the floor).

Sorry to lower the tone.

(Even further).
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumBum View Post
    You want to try living here. Every time you need to tell someone your address you need to conciously think when to breath when spelling it out

Local school has problems when McAfee won't let the kids access anything to do with "Penis"tone.:
    Andy pleeeease let me post the "Men of 'Penis'town" song it's too good to miss

You'd think that they'd adopt the spelling of "Pen-y-ston" to clear things up!

Actually, I'd heard from someone somewhere that in ye olden days it used to be called "Penny (or Pennies) Town". Can anyone shed any light on this?

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    You'd think that they'd adopt the spelling of "Pen-y-ston" to clear things up!

Actually, I'd heard from someone somewhere that in ye olden days it used to be called "Penny (or Pennies) Town". Can anyone shed any light on this?
    Etymology
    The meaning of Penistone is Old English tun "farm, village" (not stone!) with an uncertain first element, possibly Celtic penn meaning hill - similar to Penn in the West Midlands. Records of the name as Penstun (1143) and Penstone (n.d.) prove the second element is Old English tun "farm, village" (not Old English stan, stone, as might be suggested)

The history of Penistone can be dated back to 1066 when it was known to be owned by Ailric. However, following the Norman Conquest it was razed to the ground in 1069 in what became known as the Harrying of the North;

Is that enough info, i'm sure Piglet or Plumbum could come up with more.

I must say, I'm impressed with the level of erudition!

The etymology makes sense to me.

Like Bugsworth... it would be a shame - my lad would be gutted!
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Etymology
    The meaning of Penistone is Old English tun "farm, village" (not stone!) with an uncertain first element, possibly Celtic penn meaning hill - similar to Penn in the West Midlands. Records of the name as Penstun (1143) and Penstone (n.d.) prove the second element is Old English tun "farm, village" (not Old English stan, stone, as might be suggested)

The history of Penistone can be dated back to 1066 when it was known to be owned by Ailric. However, following the Norman Conquest it was razed to the ground in 1069 in what became known as the Harrying of the North;

Is that enough info, i'm sure Piglet or Plumbum could come up with more.
    Why me? I know nowt!! Im not posting my second name here - but I a hilarious phone call once with someone I was trying to book somthing with - telling them who I ran for followed by who I was.
    Sorry that means nothing to most people on here - but it was funny

Quote Originally Posted by piglet View Post
    Why me? I know nowt!! Im not posting my second name here - but I a hilarious phone call once with someone I was trying to book somthing with - telling them who I ran for followed by who I was.
    Sorry that means nothing to most people on here - but it was funny
    I can imagine it was Jane.

How did the recce go? I'd have liked to have been there.

Would anyone be able to tell me what the ground is like. The prospect of several miles on slabs doesn't appeal - last time out on slabs was the Windgather race (up to and over Shining Tor) and my shin still suffers.

If it's only a couple of miles I think I'll be there, if it's more, count me out...

Cheers

grimmer,the slabs dont go for that long a couple of minutes at the most,went round it yesterday and it was pretty good under the feet considering the rain we have had lately.

steve.

Sounds like I'll be there on Sunday then, excellent!

thanks steve