Page 62 of 65 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: Mickleden Straddle

Yes I discovered a namesake soon after I cane on the forum. I thought about Grin and Bear It last year but went for Shepherds Skyline instead. I hope to take you up on your offer of a run round sometime. Good luck with the continued recovery and no doubt I'll see you around at races. I am RO for Saddlewroth Fell if you fancy a blast. Only three miles but a cracking effort. Maybe you have ran it.

I've just Heard from Richard (RO) that this race is now full so if you haven't entered yet it's too late.

Update from RO

My first post on this site, and already I'm not sure if my moniker of choice looks such a good idea now, in the cold light of the forum - oh well.

Hi all, it's Richard, Mickleden RO - just an update on the race.

A final list of accepted entries is on our club website (denbydaletravellers.org.uk). Please refer also to the on-the-day info for runners, in particular on the compulsory kit check before registering.

Apologies to those for whom I couldn't find a place in the race. Please note, strictly NO entries on the day - a tad inflexible I admit, but there are genuine reasons for it.

Regarding the severe weather we are currently enjoying - please note that a final decision on the race going ahead will be made at 4PM ON SATURDAY (after a final recce of the route). This will be posted immediately on our club website - so please keep watching. I'll also get a post put up here on the forum.

Cheers and (fingers crossed) hope to see you on Sunday.

Blue sky over Howden at the moment Richard....Plenty of snow and a frost last night. I suspect a thaw would be a bad thing as it will leave lots of water ice where at present it will just be snow, quite a bit of drifting though which may be an issue, the last time it was cancelled it was chest deep near the top in one clough.

Latest update on the Travellers website says it has been cancelled, hoping to rearrange in April. Shame but can't have been an easy decision.

THE RACE IS CANCELLED DUE TO DEEP DRIFTING SNOW

I've just been in contact with Richard the RO on top of Mickledon. There is deep drifting snow on the upper part of the route. the way back up from Peniston Stile is untrodden and is unraceable.

There is a provisional date for rerunning the event on 19th April watch this space...
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 31-01-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Would be nice to re-schedule but 19th April is the day after Y Moelwyn which all those in my club who had entered Mickleden have already pre-entered and is also a British Championship race this year.

Just a note from your RO to say thanks for supporting the race and for the kind messages received regarding the decision to cancel.

In the end, the conditions on the upper reaches of Cut Gate were such that this decision was less difficult than in previous years, but definitely not less frustrating, being the 3rd cancellation in the last 6 years. Part and parcel of putting on a winter race over this sort of route I suppose, but can't help feeling like the parent of a spoilt infant who thrives on saving his/her worst behaviour for when it will cause maximum embarrassment...

A BIG thanks must be expressed to Ian once again for his help in getting the word out so soon after the decision was made.

As mentioned on the Denby Dale Travellers website and to those contacted individually, I'm hoping tp get the race re-scheduled to Sun 19th April for which those who've indicated a wish for me to hang onto their payment/details will automatically be put on the entry list.

The above date is at the moment provisional and subject to agreement from the parties concerned. I'm aware already this clashes with prior arrangements for a few people, but we are also dependant on the availability of the venue. I'm hoping to get this confirmed around the end of this month, when further details on this and on race entries will appear on our club website.

Just an update to let people know that unfortunately, it has NOT been possible to reschedule this year's Mickleden Straddle, as was first hoped when heavy snow forced the 1st February race to be cancelled.

The provisonal date of 19th April was ruled out by measures that are in place to protect birds nesting in the area around and above Penistone Stile, a restriction that runs from the end of March through to the start of August (though a cause for disappointment, it is one having our fullest understanding and support). An attempt at arranging a March date proved unfeasible, due to problems securing a date when the venue and all parties involved were available.

Sincere apologies for any disappointment caused and thanks to all for supporting our event.
    Regarding entry fees, as no cheques have yet been cashed, these will be shredded, along with all entry forms for this years race.

Thanks again and hope to see you all in 2016 - weather permitting...

Richard (RO)

Quote Originally Posted by Straddler View Post
    Just an update to let people know that unfortunately, it has NOT been possible to reschedule this year's Mickleden Straddle, as was first hoped when heavy snow forced the 1st February race to be cancelled.

The provisonal date of 19th April was ruled out by measures that are in place to protect birds nesting in the area around and above Penistone Stile, a restriction that runs from the end of March through to the start of August (though a cause for disappointment, it is one having our fullest understanding and support). An attempt at arranging a March date proved unfeasible, due to problems securing a date when the venue and all parties involved were available.

Sincere apologies for any disappointment caused and thanks to all for supporting our event.
    Regarding entry fees, as no cheques have yet been cashed, these will be shredded, along with all entry forms for this years race.

Thanks again and hope to see you all in 2016 - weather permitting...

Richard (RO)
    Thanks for the update Richard. Does that mean I can drink all the ale...

Any chance of an autumn date?