Thread: Shoes For Ingleboro/Whernside

Shoes For Ingleboro/Whernside

Hello Folks

First post here, I'm off to run over Ingelborough & Whernside on fri, anyone got a recommendation on what shoes to use?
    I've not been up there for a few years, but I remember most of the way up Ingleborough being paved, and I seem to think there's a fairly well made track most of the way back to the road. Do you reckon I'd be better off in trail shoes rather than my mudrocs given that amount of "trail" running?

Re: Shoes For Ingleboro/Wherns

I go up in fell shoes but to be honest you could wear anything. If Mr Norton can manage 12th on the 1/2 tour in race flats you could probably get by in your mothers high heels

Mothers high heels?
    Tottering along Sulber Nick in a pair of them?
    That's not an image that I had in mind

IMO I'd stick to fell shoes if you have some but trailes would do the job. Enjoy your run.

Quote Originally Posted by Highy View Post
    Hello Folks

First post here, I'm off to run over Ingelborough & Whernside on fri, anyone got a recommendation on what shoes to use?
    I've not been up there for a few years, but I remember most of the way up Ingleborough being paved, and I seem to think there's a fairly well made track most of the way back to the road. Do you reckon I'd be better off in trail shoes rather than my mudrocs given that amount of "trail" running?
    I think it depends on your route. If you go up Ingleborough from Ingleton, fell shoes help on that climb but aren't a total must across the top, down and then up Whernside. But if you then follow the wall back to Ingleton, fell shoes a definitely needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highy View Post
    Hello Folks

You could ask stolly to lend you a pair of is shoes which can be viewed under the Inov8's & blisters post page 2 on the equipment thread, looks like plenty of life still left in them.

I always wear Inov 8 fly roc on my runs up there and the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I think it depends on your route. If you go up Ingleborough from Ingleton, fell shoes help on that climb but aren't a total must across the top, down and then up Whernside. But if you then follow the wall back to Ingleton, fell shoes a definitely needed.
    Going by your fell shoes I think road shoes would be ok
    Bill

The route we're doing is from Ribblehead to Horton (we figured that the cafe is open in Horton longer than the tea van at Ribblehead). Am I right in thinking that's mainly paved or farm roads rather than open hillside?
    Is that the best way around to do them? (mate want's to recce 3 peaks route)
    cheers

You won't be able to go up the sheer side of Whernside and will be following the walkers rubblely then paved path to the top. Its then all pretty solid all the way to the top of Ingleborough and solid boulders for two miles after that. The only really muddy bit will be the last three miles to Horton and last time I was there is was darn muddy.