Thread: Beginner (Liverpool)

Beginner (Liverpool)

Hi have ran a few half marathons and 10ks but have really enjoyed what ive read in on fell running and would definitely love to give it a try, Im 24 and living in Liverpool and was wondering where the best places were to go from here, the thing is i dont drive so im assuming a train to North Wales or Cubria, have just got a Forerunner 205, if anybody knows any good spots then please feel free to let me know

Thanks

Darren

Re: Beginner (Liverpool)

You can get a train to Manchester then to Edale for a day out.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    Hi have ran a few half marathons and 10ks but have really enjoyed what ive read in on fell running and would definitely love to give it a try, Im 24 and living in Liverpool and was wondering where the best places were to go from here, the thing is i dont drive so im assuming a train to North Wales or Cubria, have just got a Forerunner 205, if anybody knows any good spots then please feel free to let me know

Thanks

Darren
    I don't know about the rail connections, but the Flowerscar Fell Race and the Hebden Bridge Carnival Fell Race are both fabulous races for newcomers, within five or ten minutes walk of Todmorden and Hebden Bridge railway stations respectively. Look on Todmorden Harriers website.

There are great CVFR races from Mytholmroyd too.

Would you believe that there used to be a Mersey Fell Runners Club? Unfortunately it folded about 10 years ago. YDT who posts on this forum, was a member, and might be able to point you in the right direction if you PM him.

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post

Thanks

Darren
    Darren,
    The nearest hills to Liverpool are the Clwydian hills in N Wales. I do not use public transport in that direction but I guess a bus going along the A494 - Mold to Ruthun would take you there as the road skirts the hills. Loggerheads or Llanferres would be good starting points. Those hills are an excellent hill running area.
    Yiannis (ex Mersey Fellrunners now Bowland).

Hi Darren

Not quite fell running but I get my off road fix down by Hale Lighthouse in Hale and over the sandunes in Ainsdale is a good work out, I also go across to Frodsham and out by Delamere. There are other posters on here who go to Plex Hill in Cronton. Parbold is not out of your reach by public transport.