Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First race for newcomer?

First race for newcomer?

I've done loads of road races and have a good base of fitness, but much prefer running off-road and would like to enter a fell race if I can find one that wouldn't kill me or require the services of the mountain rescue teams! I'd really appreciate some suggestions for "beginner-friendly" races in Yorkshire/Shropshire/Derbyshire areas. I'm also thinking about entering the Yorkshireman Half - would this be achievable for someone with so little experience?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

Banned

Re: First race for newcomer?

Your next local race would be the best to start with as you can have a practice on the course.
    They are all friendly, find a race where other forumites are and make yourself know.

yorkshiremans more a trail race. By the way does anyone know if the start/finish is changing this year? Did it start at Haworth in the early years?

Yorkshire to Shropshire is a wide area! If you want easy starter races in South Derbyshire, try www.runningwithdavid.com . Mostly based a bit north of Derby.

Down Shropshire way keep an eye on www.merciafellrunners.org.uk for some of their races. As said above the Yorkshireman 1/2 is more trail race, but make sure you know the last couple of miles of the route along the millenium way - it's not that obvious. A lot of the summer mid week races are fairly easy intro races as well.

Trunce, Bunny Runs [both start soon] are not fell races as such - but a good place to start, or Saddleworth, the James Blakely [if you can wait that long]

longer event at Ravenstones, tougher race at Belmont Winter Hill
    Last edited by Richard Asquith; 24-03-2008 at 01:12 PM.

the trout race in wincle, which is sort of on the border of cheshire and derbyshire. might be a bit out of range, but its a good race for novices/ beginners.
    I'm just helping others to feel the glory of winning....

+1 for the Trunce - not really a fell race but a damn good chance to practice going up steep hills after pounding downhill faster than you think you dare. Plus three river crossings.

Then head for the Crowden Horseshoe in May - still not very long at 8 miles but enough to give you a chance to get used to true fell running conditions.

Thanks for suggestions. Will definitely look at the two websites mentioned and enter a shorter race to see how I get on!

Quote Originally Posted by stilldreaming View Post
    Thanks for suggestions. Will definitely look at the two websites mentioned and enter a shorter race to see how I get on!
    You'll do ok, stilldreaming, great atmosphere at fell races and folks are really friendly, good luck
    Hills and Guinness!

The Trunce site would usually be http://www.trunce.org.uk/ - it seems to have exceeded its bandwith restriction!

(if anyone from the trunce is reading this and wants a webhost with more bandwith, drop me a line - I've got a full server lying idle at the moment and at a guess there's bags of available bandwidth on that)