Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BG Training Diaries/Logs

Re: BG Training Diaries/Logs

Quote Originally Posted by Margarine View Post
    One thing I would definitely suggest is that you do all the long tough races that you can: Jura County Tops Ennerdale etc. I did, but at the time I didn't really appreciate how valuable they were as training sessions. I think those distances combined with the fact that you are racing and so ginong appreciably faster than on a long steady 'time on your feet' run really builds up conditioning as well as stamina. And don't forget the dates .

And the fish paste and marmite butties. .
    Just how many aliases have you got, Marg? Anyway, you told me you didn't eat any dates on your BG.

Thanks for that reply Marg,

Im planning on doing most of the longer races this year, I have quite a few pencilled in as well as one or two LDWA events.

Im keen on peoples views on my training plan of doing back to back days at the weekend taken from Bob Wightmans site.

On the friday or saturday Im planning on doing my long run, currently on about 16miles off road taking 2.5-3 hours. Im planning on building this upto about 30miles slowly but constant running around Lancashire

The following day after the long run, I plan to spend walking in the lakes. This is going to be a BG Pace on the uphills. Im planning on building this upto around 11 hours. Im currently on 5hrs on the back of the long run on the friday.

I may run the down hills or trot the flats, depending on how much my long run took out of me.

The second day is mainly to get used to time out there walking for long periods.

My burning issues really is how far to you go on your highest/maximum training weekend.

I was thinking 11hours each day.

Is this enough, as I stated at the start of the post, Im just going to try upping the training this year as well as perhaps getting involved in support.

I am completely aware and understand the issues of building up slowly and avoiding burnout. I just seem to lack experienced guidance on the training front

Many Thanks
    Jamie

I'm a great beliver in 'time on your feet'...

I'd recommend the Wuthering Hike, Long Mynd Hike etc Some of the LDWA events are excellent for long days out in the hills... 'Open to Offas', 'Mid-Wales MM', 'Reservoir Roundabout', 'South Shropshire Circular'. All 20+ miles with lots of hills thrown in.

Runners tend to think that the only option is to do lots of miles in preparation for the BGR because it involves lots of miles. You do have to bear in mind that plenty of mountaineers have done it with very little running in preparation.

The first round I was involved with was my climbing partner's (when he was 17 rs old), who spent 6 weeks in the Alps over the summer, came back and did the BGR two weeks later. He had run a total of about 50 miles in the previous 6 months. Another successful BGRer from the climbing club has never been out for a run in his life, but if he's in the hills he trots along on the flat/downhill and walks uphill quickly even with a sack full of climbing gear just as a result of his enthusiasm!

Mountaineering, particularly in the Alps, involves lots of time out on your feet and it's not unusual to be on the go for 18 hours plus.

What I'm trying to say is, you don't need to get fixated on a requirement to do lots of miles of running - this could make the whole thing stressful and unenjoyable for some people. If you enjoy long days and nights out in the hills, they are just as valid preparation.

However many miles you have done per week, they are unlikely to have prepared you for staying alert and on the go for nearly 24 hours.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I guess the thing is to get to 10,000 feet a week for week after week. Mileage is probably less critical (it isn't that far anyway) but BGR mythology says 30 miles a week on the high fells (with 10,000 ft) is enough and that 1 fell mile = 2 road miles.

Time on your feet is important but more more important is getting the climbing into your legs.

Hard weekends were doing individual BGR legs on consecutive days and, of course, carrying the food and water for each leg.

Easier weekends were doing LDWA events on the second day - easier because you don't have to carry food or water but very few of them offer enough climbing but you probably don't need that initially.

Finally make sure you have an easy week every now and again as well as a rest day every week or almost every week, if you are really keen.

The most important thing is to arrive at the Moot Hall injury free, full of enthusiasm and convinced you can do it - see Feet In The Clouds ("Its all in the mind" - not quite but maybe 85% in the mind)

Good luck

I think RichT's comments about climbers being pretty well up for it aren't (or weren't) too far from the mark. Certainly when I grew up in the Lakes and was out on the crags three or four days or evenings a week through the summer I was certainly very hill fit - a time of 45mins from Brackenclose up to Scafell East Buttress was normal, even carrying a sack of climbing gear. Compare with a BGR scheduled time of 75 mins to go no further though a little higher to the summit of Scafell. I certainly wasn't the only one!

These days I suspect that the climbers who get out for a good tramp through the fells is far fewer - they'd rather head for the indoor climbing walls when the weather isn't fine. Plus roadside or near roadside crags are much more in favour - Scafell crag can be empty even on a fine summers day.

Prior to my round, I only averaged 20 miles per week, I certainly could have done with more but I wanted to avoid a recurrence of ITBS from the previous year so kept the mileage down.

Long, long walks in the fells will give you the endurance - pack some food and a lightweight MM style tent and spend the weekends walking the route and/or getting as much ascent and descent into your legs as you can.

As FSS says, getting to the Moot Hall in good shape is as important as anything, plus being in the right mind - you have to want to do it - really really want to do it. Having your wife say that she won't be supporting you in your next attempt helps focus the mind as well

Bob

Thanks for your replies everyone

Some interesting points there and have me got me thinking...

Some very interesting and usefull comments on this thread.
    My view is that it's time and climb that matter most and as Bob says you really really have to want to do it.
    I also come from a mountaineering/rock climbing background, 20 years+.
    I had been fell running for about 4 years before my attempt and had been thinking about the round for about 2 years before.
    My regular weekend runs up to that point were about 2-3 hours and I trained only once in the week. I didn't start BG training proper until the January of the year I did it.
    I gradually increased the time/length of my weekend run and as the nights grew longer evenings in the fells increased. But I found that if I went out more than 3 times a week I needed a lot more recovery time.
    The single longest time I was out was about 8 hours. The only time I went out twice in two days was on the LAMM B class 4 weeks before my attempt. Although once or twice I did go out the day after a short race. A bit of speed work also helped and a regular hill rep session.
    I new the route well and was really phsyched up for it. Get good help and be organised. Enjoy the day. Don't put pressure on yourself. I told my pacers not to tell me the time unless we were getting well down, and nobody did until Red Pike ( I was 1 hour up). I eventually completed in 22hr 40min from a 23hr schedule and the pace was very easy from Pillar onwards.
    Good luck.

Aardvark

I shouldn't comment, as I have never been involved .... but.

Don't forget to train the 6 inches between your ears.

Just as important as all the above.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.