Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pen Cerrig Calch

Re: Pen Cerrig Calch

Did this race a few years ago and there was a gale force wind and some cloud cover on the summit plateau the race wasnt shortend then.for such a short race and the exposed section being only about a mile in distance this sounds like H & S gone mad to me,if there was a concern about navigation then why wasnt the plateau section flagged?end of problem

If someone did get lost up there
    sorry am i getting confused with a different race ....the race was 3 miles long you could walk up and run down in 50 mins !!!! The pics seemed quite clear to me,i was expecting fog for a shortened route.Plus they had markers on the way up.
    The marshall arguement would be a good one if it was a longer race but to be honest you don't volunteer to marshall on the summit expecting to get a sun tan in march.The last runner would have reached the top in less than 40 mins.
    Remembering also it was a national champs counter !

if there was a concern about navigation then why wasnt the plateau section flagged?end of problem
    exactly,would have taken 30 mins top

I totally agree, shortening it was a bad decision!!! THe weather wasn't that bad and as you say Iain, risking getting lost is part of the deal. I only travelled 45 mins and i was well p***ed off. Had run up and down it 3 times the previous week to prepare for an attempt on women's record, what a waste of time!

Results are up:

http://wfra.me.uk/

I know the organiser of this race and he is a great guy - if he decided to shorten the race it was with good reason so stop the moaning!

Dungbeetle, I'm sure he's a nice guy - nobody said otherwise - but there are concerns about shortening races, and runners are well within their rights to question aspects about a race - to say they are 'moaning' is a bit rough - infact people are trying to find solutions to the problem - such as having strategies/routes put in place for bad weather conditions...

I think there is a genuine concern that more races will become shortened which perhaps need not be

Reading the report of the race i didn't realise there was snow,gales,fog etc as it didn't show up on the photos.I can't comment on the weather really as i wasn't there.The bottom line is you can't do anything about the weather........ however considering it was a national champs counter,surely an alternative route could have been introduced,and as for blanks in the results,as if travelling half way across the country to do a shortened 2 mile race isn't bad enough,to then find out you have been missed from the results is a real kick in the bo**ocks.A computer timing system is all well and good,but a simple funnelling system after the line would have at least counted for everyone.Oh well, just glad i didn't waste my time.

Maybe I've lived in Nant Peris too long, but that wasn't appalling weather, the night the neighbours chimney was blown over and crashed through our roof was appalling weather, saturday was merely miserable. Certainly nothing that made me concerned for my safety.

There were strongish winds, wouldn't say it was gale forced at all, some rain, and cloud at 500-600m or so, pretty normal for March I think.

I've organised many races over the years and I think that the caveat that indicates that you should always have a poor weather alternative route is sound advice. Mostly it's not needed, at the Aran race it definitely was, at Pen Cerrig Calch there are obviously conflicting views. Draw your own conclusions but I'd rather have runners running up and down three times up the shortest hill next Saturday than be liable for someone hitting me with a lawsuit.

Incidentally next Saturday it'll be a slightly altered route so we don't confuse the lambs - I don't want the ewes suing me!!