Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pen Cerrig Calch

Re: Pen Cerrig Calch

Sorry to hear about the shortened race...it really is a bummer when you have travelled a long way. It is not the first time that has happened. The race was shortened a few years ago for the same reason. A major concern was for the safety of the summit marshal who was literally unable to stand on the top which is very exposed. There is no natural shelter anywhere near the summit. I presume the same factors applied this time.

Iain, I pretty much share your views about racing in bad weather and taking responsibilty for your own safety. I prefer racing in such circumstances. However, all of us in S Wales bear the scars of being involved in the death of a female runner in very similar conditions at the same time of year. The organiser, Derek, is a great bloke and a stalwart of the S Wales running scene for over 20 years. The decision to shorten the race would, I am sure, have been made for the best reasons and not taken lightly.
    There isn't really a decent low level alternative. This is complicated by the fact that it is lambing season. If anyone is interested in reading the organisers views first hand, his race report is here: http://www.wfra.org.uk/

Many moons ago, Toffer and I travelled up to N Wales to do the Welsh 1000m. The high level race was abandoned due to bad weather and a low level alternative substituted.. That really didn't suit us so we eschewed the race and did the high level route anyway. WOW! We got blasted to bits on the Carneddau, drenched out of our skins on the Glyderau and when we reached Pen Y Pass, we were informed that no-one was allowed onto the Snowdon tracks because the winds were exceeding 100 mph at the summit. We did'nt get to race or even complete the thing but we had a memorable day out.

If the shorter race didn't satisfy you, you could have always gone for run afterwards.
    Last edited by Wheeze; 01-04-2008 at 11:23 PM.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    Draw your own conclusions but I'd rather have runners running up and down three times up the shortest hill next Saturday than be liable for someone hitting me with a lawsuit.
    That's fair enough, I think the race organiser should have the final say, but I do think for a national championship event there should be 'plan b', even if it was 2 laps. Last year one of Mike Blakes Tuesday Night races was 3 laps of sets of inclines in the slate quarries, Ok it's repetitive, each lap was a bit different, but it was a good race, and at least at ~40 minutes long left you feeling like you'd had a run.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    A major concern was for the safety of the summit marshal who was literally unable to stand on the top which is very exposed. There is no natural shelter anywhere near the summit. I presume the same factors applied this time.

If the shorter race didn't satisfy you, you could have always gone for run afterwards.
    I can't see that being the case. Winds were strong, but on the bwlch/ridge between Table Mountain and PCC it wasn't bad at all. It was miserable weather.

The thing is if that race isn't wiling to be ran in bad conditions, then change it's timing from mid March. Come on who enters a fell race in march and doesn't expect wind and rain. Runners are asked to carry full body waterproofs, map and compass, so they should be expected to use them. Naturally fell running, like mountaineering and climbing will always have the odd accident, that's why we like it, the adventure, the challenge, without those very real dangers it wouldn't be the same sport. It's always tragric when a competitor loses their life, but when running in winter, on remote terrain, over steep and craggy terrain, that risk is very real, but it's a risk we accept as runners.

I'm in strong disagreement with a certain North Walean tatooed race organiser over safety and marshalls at races (well a certain race). I suppose the WFRA are in a tight spot with people like him wanting more marked courses/more safety checks/marshalls on one hand and people like me wanting runners left to make their own mistakes.

TBF we'd driven 3.5 hrs down, my wife wasn't running and had stood watching in the tain, and we had others with us car-sharing, so going out for another run wasn't really an option.

Many moons ago, Toffer and I travelled up to N Wales to do the Welsh 1000m. The high level race was abandoned due to bad weather and a low level alternative substituted.. That really didn't suit us so we eschewed the race and did the high level route anyway. WOW! We got blasted to bits on the Carneddau, drenched out of our skins on the Glyderau and when we reached Pen Y Pass, we were informed that no-one was allowed onto the Snowdon tracks because the winds were exceeding 100 mph at the summit. We did'nt get to race or even complete the thing but we had a memorable day out.
    If 100mph winds were forecast then I don't think a race organiser could send people out in that, if the wind is 100, gusts will be 120 and people could be blown off ridges.

If, like at happened at ras Yr Aran and the Lakes race this year the local MRT/Wardens seriously recomend the race to be shortened I don't think the organiser has any option. There a difference between dangerous weather and unpleasant weather.

All your points are fair Iain. We live and learn. One outcome from this is that WFRA may decide not to use PCC for a champs event again. Or it might decide to issue a requirement for a bad weather plan to be submitted for all championship races. The at least an RO can opt out of having the race in the champs if there is no realistic bad weather plan other than to shorten the race.

From experience I can say that the conditions on the Bwlch are absolutely no guide to how severe conditions are on the summit ridge. You earn your living in the mountains. I love running in bad weather. Both of us would have wanted to run the full course. But we are not representative of all runners. The RO has to consider the needs of all and make a call.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Fair enough, that's a problem in itself, some runners just don't have the nouce to read a map, and you do have to question should they be racing, however I'm also strongly against any sort of 'qualifications' needed to participate in fell running as I think it's a sport for all. So a bit of a dilemma there..

I know the race only cost £1.50, so for £1.50 you shouldn't complain, but the 1.50 is a very small fraction of the over all cost in getting there. Nout against the Organiser he seemed like a nice guy, and I thought the race had a nice atmosphere, good location, just disagreed with the call to shorten and the 'alternative' route.

Sorry to hear about the shortened race...it really is a bummer when you have travelled a long way. It is not the first time that has happened. The race was shortened a few years ago for the same reason. A major concern was for the safety of the summit marshal who was literally unable to stand on the top which is very exposed. There is no natural shelter anywhere near the summit. I presume the same factors applied this time.
    Actually, the race went ahead unshortened that year (2004). See the report: http://www.mdcwales.org.uk/Newslette.../April2004.pdf page 11.

Rhys

Rhys, the year it was shortened was way before that...mid 90's maybe? I know, coz I woz there! Also woz there at 2004 race...brilliant, loved it!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

No question that the organiser is a great guy, and was in a no-win situation. I'm sure seeing the death of a competitor changes your decision-making process. It's a real shame if fear of a lawsuit plays a part in the decision but a sad fact of life nowadays. I think it is a worrying trend. However i still think the decision to shorten the race was wrong. The winds were only 30mph on the ridge, i've trained and raced in worse many times. I went up on the ridge half an hour before the race and i would have been happy to stand on the summit for an hour with the right gear on. If the athletes are going to take the race, the conditions and their own safety seriously, then i think it's only fair for the organisation to take the athletes seriously by providing a decent race, even if that meant 2 or 3 lower laps. This was a national championship race- it's not just as simple as going for a run afterwards!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Actually, the race went ahead unshortened that year (2004). See the report: http://www.mdcwales.org.uk/Newslette.../April2004.pdf page 11.

Rhys
    yes i remember it well,the report got my name wrong(Jones not Thomas) its got a hell of a start to it ,lactic acid build up guaranteed.