Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mournes Race

Re: Mournes Race

And where was Fleeter?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I am bit surprised by the comment about a "debacle" at Black Combe because it sounds a bit ungracious. I know one or two runners had their own grievances which I can't comment on because I don't know the ins and outs. But, other than the fact here did seen to be a surprising number of runners(quite a few from Lake District clubs) who struggled with the poor visibility at Black Combe, why a debacle?
    1. Don't be surprised, I don't rehearse what I write. I often don't proof-read it. Sometimes it just comes out.

2. Didn't mean to sound ungracious or discourteous. Well done to all who did well, especially if you are the Chris who was 19th... (!)

3. A 'bit' of a 'debacle' for some people; no debacle of any sorts for many.

4. The "one or two" runners who had their grievances included; Ricky Lightfoot, Mike Fanning, Chris Steel, Jim Davies, Adam Breaks, Stuart Bond, Nick Leigh, Darren Kay, John Deegan, Danny Hope, Lee Athersmith, Gary Devine, Ian Holmes, John Henegan, Morgan Donnelly, Andrew Schofield, Charlie Stead, Jon Morgan, Alistair Dunn.... and so on.

So, maybe you see what I mean when I say there was a bit of a debacle. Yes, I didn't mean to whitewash everyone, common sense should have told you that, but if you compare it to the fairly straightforward results of the Mournes Race you might have some idea what I was talking about!
    Why walk when you can run.

Quote Originally Posted by Pudgy View Post
    And where was Fleeter?
    Just back..... and as ever the Mourne & their very kind & generous people were fantastic..... and what a very special race too... a magnificent tour of many of the Mourne tops... with views to die for, if you could glance up from the tricky ground underfoot... well done the course planners, race committee and massed ranks of happy helpers... the race took place in surprisingly marvellous weather conditions, a true bonus given the severe weather forecast earlier in the week.

And the pre&post race craic was brilliant....

(Sadly young Fleeter tweaked his ankle badly in the early stages of the race, when I came across him, Master Jebb was on hand to help, he too having problems with a stroppy bug, which forced him to retire.)

PS The Dark Peak Lads who won a bit of grog (nicely shared, thanks chaps), also won Hands Down the Pre-race Breakfast Medal..... never, I say never, has so much been consumed by so few skinny beggars!!!!
    Last edited by Luv Shack; 07-04-2008 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Amazement at breakfast time!
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Quote Originally Posted by Luv Shack View Post
    (Sadly young Fleeter tweaked his ankle badly in the early stages of the race, when I came across him, Master Jebb was on hand to help, he too having problems with a stroppy bug, which forced him to retire.)
    yeah only made it to the first checkpoint them my ankle went ,oh well,great weekend anyway,will be back to actually finish a race next year

Bad luck Fleeter Think you'll be ok for the Anni Waltz? Even if you're not, I'm sure Wynn would value your help marshalling, water lugging and cake eating

Quote Originally Posted by Pudgy View Post
    Bad luck Fleeter Think you'll be ok for the Anni Waltz? Even if you're not, I'm sure Wynn would value your help marshalling, water lugging and cake eating
    i'm hoping so,going to just get on the bike this week,then try and run next week,am i still ok for a lift up to the waltz?

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeter View Post
    i'm hoping so,going to just get on the bike this week,then try and run next week,am i still ok for a lift up to the waltz?
    Keep your chin up, mate, see you at the waltz
    Hills and Guinness!

I thought it was an awesome route. One of my favourite routes/races to date. Started a bit slowly, but felt stronger and really enjoyed from the Dam wall onwards. That ascent of commedagh was brutal, but the descents were just as hard, never seen so many runners end a race bleeding, continually held your interest. Great weekend altogether, I thought conditions were perfect for me, nice and cool.

Will that race be held again or was it a one off and back to Spelga Skyline in future? How did it compare with SS?

is it just me????..........or is anyone else absolutly crippled today?

Quote Originally Posted by Daleside View Post
    is it just me????..........or is anyone else absolutly crippled today?
    Yep! I didn't even race

Sounds a good one and is another race on the list of ones I would like to do!

Fleeter, I feel ya bro! Hope its all good for you for Anni Waltz.