Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilates, Yoga or Wussy????????

Pilates, Yoga or Wussy????????

Hi All,

I have'nt told many people this but I have struggling with a knee niggle. I seem to have downscaled the alert status from Osteo Arthritis to a tight IT Band.

Whereever I go everyone seems to be saying "strech it", "do some strecthing", "you wanna stretch it" or "just give it a bloody good stretch".

I hate stretching and never can find time to do it, Im figuring whilst Im not running as much I may as well find a class and put an hour aside a week.

I think it would really motivate me to do some stretching if I was surround by 20 lycra clad honeys sticking there bums in the air. (as seen on tv).

Everyone seems to be raving about pilates at the minute. If your a member of the JJB conglomerate that would be power pilates.

Has/does anyone do(ne) any of these and do they help with avoiding injuries and tightness or helping all round running.

I seem to remember David (Moderator) mentioned somethingg about it helping him

And finally - will she be there???????

Cheers
    Jamie
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 04-04-2008 at 01:11 PM.

Wink Re: Pilates, Yoga or Wussy????

What are you waiting for ???? Go for it Nourh !!!!!

Re: Pilates, Yoga or Wussy????

I did core stability classes which made a big difference. I stopped going as the classes where on a Wednesday night which isn't a good night for me.

You should have a go at that Jamie, I know a few off here go to the class.

If you haven't got time to stretch when you're injured, how are you going to find time to do more running when you're not injured???

I used to do circuit training once a week which I reckon helped me a alot as it worked different muscles that I didn't used to use. I'd go now but I don't have time, errr... I mean can't be arsed....

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    If you haven't got time to stretch when you're injured, how are you going to find time to do more running when you're not injured???
    Its a pain in the arse, is'nt it when you just wanna run

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    Its a pain in the arse, is'nt it when you just wanna run
    Personally it's a 'right' pain in the achilles !!!!

I've been doing a yoga class each week for about 6 months now. Our tutor doesn't go in for any of the spiritual crap I was expecting, so it's not the wussy workout I thought it might be when I first tried. Plus I'm the only male (other than the tutor) in the class now

It must be beneficial, it's training core muscles and balance and isn't as dull as just stretching. I've noticed niggles with all sort of muscle groups that I wouldn't even know were a problem without it. There's various forms of yoga, Ashtanga is the probably the best for a runner as it's the most physical.

One class a week isn't really enough, and I just can't be bothered to do a session at home, so I'm still pathetic at, and I'm sure the miles I run undo any extra flexibility I might have gained otherwise.

Never done Pilates but that seems to be all the rage at the moment for core stability.

Thanks for the reply SteveS, has it helped with your dancing

and how is the training going??

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    Thanks for the reply SteveS, has it helped with your dancing

and how is the training going??
    I think the dancing is beyond help, but I'll be practicing tomorrow night anyway, in a place that's probably worse than The Loft

Training has picked up following illness at the start of the year, not been out on the fells nearly enough yet though

I do pilates once a week and the lady who takes us (a bunch of grizzled old men) looks llike the one in your picture! It's not wussy one little bit and I really feel like I've earned my pint of Sam Smith's straight after the session. To me it's just a load of PE and reminds me of training for rugby back at school when I was 18. She's got some parts of me moving which haven't moved since then. Like painted over hinges the joints are starting to free up again. Last night it was core work and I can still feel it today. It's a good workout and I'd recommend it to anyone.
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"