Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moelwyn Peaks Race

Master

Moelwyn Peaks Race

Doesn't seem to be a thread about this, unless I'm being blind.

We'll be in the area and might give it a go.

I assume it's entry on the day? Is there are route published anywhere, I can't find one? The Ffestiniog website doesn't seem to have anything useful.

Re: Moelwyn Peaks Race

Here's some info:

I'm doing it but as a job, running around with some TV presenter as part of a programme/advert for Audi, so won't be racing. He's 'very fit' so no idea if I'm going to be breathing through my arse keeping up with him or in for an easy day...

Anyway, yes entry on day, usually ~100 runners

2007 Moelwyns race Write up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/blaenau/pages/moelwynrace.shtml?3

The route:

http://www.pbase.com/caeclyd/image/77502056

Photos:

http://www.pbase.com/caeclyd/moelwyn_race

Recce:

http://sarzmountainrun.blogspot.com/2008/04/ras-y-moelwyn-recce.html

PS: Getting worried about the GL3D..:-) I am..
    Last edited by IainR; 16-04-2008 at 11:24 AM.

That doesn't show the route too well.

Starts in the village, oon footpaths to the quarry road, long steady run out, steep at the top through the old cwmorthin quarry, then directly to M Mawr, back on yourself and out to the ridge (Craig..) then down to the bwlch and the usual way up M Bach, back on yourself but carry on past the ascent route and down a gully with a rock face on your LHS, then down to the Dam wall, across the Dam wall, head up and Leftish to the col between M mawr and moel Yr Hydd, then up to the summit, straight off the back and down the valley back to the main track you came in on. then back the same way.

IainR - you've got a great job!!! The photo recce is ace.

I ran this last year (albeit with a foot injury) and loved it. Some really good sharp climbs and great views. Thought it was v well marshalled as well.

Bugger the programme producer/director has just (got the email as I typed that) come down with a throat infection so it's all off, anyway, means I can race this now.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Here's some info:

<snip>

PS: Getting worried about the GL3D..:-) I am..
    Thanks for all that! Might see you Saturday (though if the weather plays ball we'll be climbing instead).

If you're worried about the GL3D then I'm now even more worried than I was already! It was hard enough work last year, and this year is an extra 10 miles per day and without the luxury of pub meals - and I'm even less fit than usual...

I've not done much multi day running at all, I'm Ok for a long one day session, but usually limp around the next, so it'll be an experience.

30+ miles a day in the fells is a huge day, 2 of them is massive, I reckon 3 will break me..:-)

It's a cracking race which I've done a few times. There's not usually more than around 50 entries so if visibility is poor you need to know where you're going.

The organisers usually hand out the route highlighted on a 1:25k OS map at registration, but from IanR's route description it is possible to plot this in advance. If you remember the 7 'P's you wont go wrong !

Would be great to have some clear views of the craggy hills, but sickly I fancy plenty of clag this year just to make it interesting.

There's showers available afterwards (I understand there was hot water last year!)

There's a few of us coming down for this (including Also Ran and Pendle Plodder) then heading off to Pwlheli for a few scoops and an Indian.
    See the light in the night

last time I did this (2006 ) it was a championship race and I think there were 277 ? entries.I wasn't quite last - nearly !
    Great route , navigation is important if the clag comes down.
    I got a bit lost in Bleanau itself at the end , running around the streets,
    looking for marshalls/tape/anything as a clue.
    I finished as the presentations were going on.
    I'm not running it this year (injury-any excuse) but may well be
    on the course doing video/stills.
    Pete

My first ever fell race, many years ago -I think I was the only runner not in fell shoes - I remember running back down the track at the end with two gnarled old runners (me of course being a young lad) who said 'do you know the way from here?' When I replied yes, they ran off to the finish leaving me to finish last - everyone should try being the last one home at least once!

Unlikely to be there this weekend but a great race - good distance, big climbs, tricky/scary descent between the summits - good luck to all taking part.