Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gl3d

Re: Gl3d

Quote Originally Posted by satori View Post
    gl3d out of my league i reckon

gels not good for 3 days
    take pies also.
    A few pasties won't go a miss.

Did a 5.5 hr race once on nothing but gels until the last few miles when I got a banana, I was so sick of lemon&lime flavoured leppins, barely had any since.

Master

What 'next email' are you waiting for? The last one I had was the one asking for final payment (you were on the recipient list), I wasn't expecting another.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Anyway not done one before, how much food is provided? Is it a lot of bread, ad lib so to speak, or should we budget on their being little food available, unsure how much to take..

Do people run with small rucsacs or get away with a bumbag stuffed with gels, 7 hrs + is a long time though, reckon I'll want more than just gels.

Any other tips, advice?
    Assume you need to provide all food yourself. Last year the overnight camp was within easy walking distance of a pub for evening meals, and cafe for breakfast, but this year promises to be different!

Othwerwise, just plan as you would for a long day in the hills. I ran with a small rucksack last year, which was OTT for days 1 (hot) and 3 (short), but I was very pleased to have some extra clothing on day 2 when the weather turned just as we were setting off up Snowdon. Keeping warm by keeping moving isn't always practical, at least when you're as unfit as I am

As someone else said, for most of us it's not an event to worry about winning (they used publish the results in alphabetical order rather than time order I think), the achievement is just finishing. Then again, the same is true for any race as far as I'm concerned

For some reason that didn't get to me, anyway someone else forwarded me there's on.

Cheers anyway, sounds good advice.

Yeah my aim is to complete. 35 miles in a day isn't too bad, it's doing it again, then again, which is concerning me. Hopefully the weathers kind and if there's a river near by I'll try and have the courage for cold dips because I find that helps on the second day, when I've done 2 races in a weekend.

Needs to warm up a bit for that though..

Any results/reports of this event from last weekend?

I heard that of the 48 who set off on Day 1 only 24 were still going at start of Day 2!
    Why walk when you can run.

Master

No results up yet, but last year they took a few weeks.

IainR was 3rd.
    We weren't

I think there were 49 starters, of which 26 did the full three days. We managed the first and 3rd days in full but on day 2 went direct from the 1st to the last control, still a 20 mile day though!

Yeah hard weekend.

My brief report is here:

http://www.eryriharriers.org.uk/ultramarathons.html

Definately recommend it, nice atmosphere. It's true it's not a race, but I think us at the front were semi-competitive with each other, we'd help each other, do sections together, discuss route options etc, but then try and do our days as quick as possible.

Each of the days was a big undertaking. Be interesting to see how it changes next year. I liked it as a hard weekend, but it was a massive step up from last year looking at the times, and was suprised quite how hard it was. I've barely ran since.

The first 4 were Phil Pearson, I think he took 22/23 hrs, Jon Gay 2nd 23ish hrs, me 3rd about 30 minutes behind Jon and Stewart Bellamy 4th about an hour behind me after having a nightmare end to the weekend when he turned left to early and ran an extra 3 k's.

I think after that there was quite a gap.

I agree, three hard days, a big step up from the last few years. Having said that enjoyed three fantastic days, with great routes and covered lots of new ground.

This was a race I don't mind saying I was last in, to be one of the 26 who finished the whole route is somthing I'm really pleased with.

A great event.

Yeah, when I saw it was 100 miles I guessed it would be a 'strive to survive' weekend, where the priority was just to get each day compeleted. It must have been very hard for those taking 12 hrs a day because they just had so little time to recover. I think on Day 2 there were still 12 people out on the hill when we went to bed at 9:30/10 ish.

I'd understand if it was shortened a bit in future, as I do wonder how many people will want to do such hard weekends, but personally I enjoyed it and would prefer 6 hr + days than 4/5 hr days.

I just really enjoyed seeing the Lakes, being Snowdonia based I'm so lazy about visiting other areas.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Stewart Bellamy 4th about an hour behind me after having a nightmare end to the weekend when he turned left to early and ran an extra 3 k's.
    Good to hear I wasn't the only one to do this!!