Thread: Torn Soleus/Soleus Strain

Torn Soleus/Soleus Strain

Roughly 5 weeks ago i pulled/strained/tore my soleus, the pain only felt like slight tightness an did three jogging steps on it before i walked to my car, it came on at the very end of the warm down after a 5km time trial. had a slight pull twice before, one a couple of years ago, and one prob 2 years before that.

problem only started there though, did some light cycling spinning on it RICE'd it etc and after 5 days no pain, and on 7 day unlike god who rested i went for a 'jog' to test it low and behold it went again, week later i tried again absolutely fine first run, tried joggin nest day it went, gave it another week and a half, aqua jogged a bit but decided to miss the 12 stages and ran on the following week after spending about 2 weeks pain free, stretching and strengthening, ran again, fine, ran the next day it went!!!, saga continues, now a about a stone heavier (though that was to do with being in the states, not being able to train a altitude so ate like a yank for three weeks) so got back running last week did 2 and 1/2 runs each at least a day apart, and yesterday ran 2 consecutive days and although slightly sore all over seems to be no probs with calf.

didn't have any massive increase in work load though for the first season since school i have decided to drop down to middle ditance again.

Now questions!

1)looking at all forum posts etc it seemed to be a type 1 strain, no swelling, no bruising no real pain to walk etc, but just wouldn't go away, ewas i rushing it?

2) am a forefoot striker (everyone says don't you have achilles probs/calf probs etc - answer no til now) and find it makes me pretty quick so don't want to change, does anyone have a way they have got round it?

3) was hoping to be around 1:55 for 800 this season, decided against pushing it so am still hoping for 1:58 ish, but when shall i start with my track/speed sessions again?

throwing all these questions out and would like to hear a few personal experiences, would go and see my fizzio, but he's on holiday (how thoughtless) and don't trust that many others locally and have already heard my coaches opinion (several times)!

oh and 4) after approx 5 weeks or more, off where should i start n my training again?

Best regards

Re: Torn Soleus/Soleus Strain

Did a recce of a leg of the BG three weeks ago and felt OK the next day, but trotted down to get something from the car and OUCH!

Calf strain in the soleus area. Did the RICE thing, but probably not enough with hindsight. Symptoms sound just like yours, and when I try and run on it, it hurts enough to make me walk.

My problem is, two fell races in the next couple of weeks, but then the biggie is Bala Middle Distance Tri in four weeks. That, I really do not want to miss. It's a greta race in a lovely location and £85!!!

How have you got on with yours and what has helped?

Anyone else got any advice?

Cheers
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Master

Quote Originally Posted by niceguydave View Post
    Roughly 5 weeks ago i pulled/strained/tore my soleus, the pain only felt like slight tightness an did three jogging steps on it before i walked to my car, it came on at the very end of the warm down after a 5km time trial. had a slight pull twice before, one a couple of years ago, and one prob 2 years before that.

problem only started there though, did some light cycling spinning on it RICE'd it etc and after 5 days no pain, and on 7 day unlike god who rested i went for a 'jog' to test it low and behold it went again, week later i tried again absolutely fine first run, tried joggin nest day it went, gave it another week and a half, aqua jogged a bit but decided to miss the 12 stages and ran on the following week after spending about 2 weeks pain free, stretching and strengthening, ran again, fine, ran the next day it went!!!, saga continues, now a about a stone heavier (though that was to do with being in the states, not being able to train a altitude so ate like a yank for three weeks) so got back running last week did 2 and 1/2 runs each at least a day apart, and yesterday ran 2 consecutive days and although slightly sore all over seems to be no probs with calf.

didn't have any massive increase in work load though for the first season since school i have decided to drop down to middle ditance again.

Now questions!

1)looking at all forum posts etc it seemed to be a type 1 strain, no swelling, no bruising no real pain to walk etc, but just wouldn't go away, ewas i rushing it?

2) am a forefoot striker (everyone says don't you have achilles probs/calf probs etc - answer no til now) and find it makes me pretty quick so don't want to change, does anyone have a way they have got round it?

3) was hoping to be around 1:55 for 800 this season, decided against pushing it so am still hoping for 1:58 ish, but when shall i start with my track/speed sessions again?

throwing all these questions out and would like to hear a few personal experiences, would go and see my fizzio, but he's on holiday (how thoughtless) and don't trust that many others locally and have already heard my coaches opinion (several times)!

oh and 4) after approx 5 weeks or more, off where should i start n my training again?

Best regards
    Niceguydave my answer to your questions are as follows:

1)Your Calf hadn't healed to full strength to allow you to do what you were trying to do.

2)If your a forefoot striker, don't try and change it.

3) You shouldn't do any track work until you've done enough steady running to lose the stone you've put on.

Some people seem to run to a physio at the first sign of trouble, when all they really need is rest.Give injuries time and ride the bike or go for a walk.

All the best

Well here goes.

back training now for 2 weeks properly and things are better, but still not 100% seems to be a small lump in the muscle (scar tissue i presume) shifetd the weight, think some of it was water retention, but not really back at full fighting weight (to be expected)

have been trying to do some decent rehab and weights though its making me feel sluggish, not really done any weights at this point in the season before, and restricted all my speed work to straight stuff (rather than the track) and treadmill, one thing i have noticed though is on treadmill did 6 x 800 at 4.45 mile pace and my left knee was sore afterwards and worried that i'm over compensating on my left (oppsoite to calf prob) leg, so should probably carry on with the rehab - catch 22!

as fore changing my gait, was speaking to a guy who was a middle didstance runner(13:44 5000m pb - so decent standard then!), and was saying he can't train very many miles cause of achilles/calf problems due to his gait (had all sorts of biomechanical tests and they said it was all down to his gait) have got a similar gait (though unfortunately not his talent!) and am concerned that its going to be a reoccuring issue.

probably just carry on regardless thoough when it feels 100%