Thread: Berlin marathon

Berlin marathon

My missus, having trained like a madwoman for the London marathon, had to pull out the week before due to a really nasty chest infection. Not a happy bunny.

However, to make up for this, she entered the Berlin marathon, which takes place in September. As a nice surprise, she entered me too! I;ve decided that i'll give it a really good go and see if I can break the fabled 3 hour barrier. I've only ever done one marathon properly and scraped under 3:15.

Question is, what's the Berlin marathon like? Anyone done it and does anyone have any tips?

Also, any advice on marathon training, esp those who got themselves under the three hour barrier. I'm not super quick so 3 hours is real stretch for me...

Ta!

Mark

Feet in the Cowclaps

Re: Berlin marathon

I did it last year Swiss. It's a really fast, flat course, extremely well organised as you can imagine with the Germans and with good support all the way round. The crowds probably don't make as much noise as in London, but there are people all the way along the 42 kilometres. The start and finish are near the Brandenburg Gate.

One word of warning though - I was aiming for 3.20 to qualify for the Boston marathon, and finished in 3.22 mainly because I was boxed in at the start. I was in the right starting pen for the time I was looking to run it which I'd put on the entry form, but I found myself surrounded by lots of other (slower) people who had obviously lied on theirs, and I spent the first 17 (!) kilometres slaloming round other runners, getting hemmed in, and having to speed up to try and get my split times back on track. If I were you, I'd get right to the front of your pen or try and sneak into a quicker one (it looked fairly easy to do).

The energy drink they give was something I'd never tasted before. I'll try and remember what it was called. I contacted the manufacturer and they sent me some sample sachets so I could test it out in training.

My wife and I went for the weekend and we really liked the city.

I can't tell you how to break the 3-hour barrier though.

Feet in the Cowclaps

I've remembered - the energy drink is called basica. You can email them here [email protected] and ask them for the nearest stockist and they'll send you samples.

Good luck with the training!

Berlin is a really good marathon to do long straight roads could run a really good time there best of luck
    Track rules

I've just entered Berlin as well.
    I wonder if you need to get there early to get a towel on the start-line.

I've heard the course is fast and flat, so should be good for a PB, plus it could be an interesting place to visit.

I did London on Sunday, and was a bit disappointed to blow my 2:50 target.
    I was sitting on 2:50 (or better) pace until 30km, but slowed and lost 6 minutes in the last 12km.

My plan for Berlin would be to pay far closer attention to my Garmin 205 in the first half, to keep a steady pace, and avoid over-cooking the first 10km.
    I plan to use my Garmin to display Pace of Current Lap, and then aim to sustain between 6:25 and 6:30 pace. I'll need to do some training beforehand to practice running at constant pace using the Garmin.

Feet in the Cowclaps

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisU View Post
    I'll need to do some training beforehand to practice running at constant pace using the Garmin.
    When in marathon training I always do a midweek marathon pace run, gradually increasing it over the weeks from 5 to about 12 miles.

Thanks for the tips - i like the towel one

Seriously, it's good to know that it's fast course. God can't believe i'm going to be a road runner again...just temporarily....

Quote Originally Posted by Feet in the Cowclaps View Post
    I've remembered - the energy drink is called basica. You can email them here [email protected] and ask them for the nearest stockist and they'll send you samples.

Good luck with the training!
    Thanks also for this, very thoughtful tip. Will chase this up and see how we go. I'm pretty resilient stomach wise - think of a human trash can with little shorts and a vest and and you're there. Still, no point leaving anything to chance.