Thread: Knee arthroscopy

Knee arthroscopy

Hi folks

Looking increasingly like my knee is heading for an MRI and an appointment with that nice Mr Roberts at Oswestry....

Obviously this doesn't look great for the LAMM in June. Anyone out there had ' 'scope, and if so how long was it before you got going again in the hills? Realistically I'm only really wondering about doing the 'D' with some poles (Stanislaw and Petrov are busy so I'll take the Lekis instead )

I had a friend who ran 15 miles the following week - with a few thousand feet of ascent - which he described as "like having bits of glass in there" although he lived to tell the tale (went a very funny colour though...)

It's not going to be major reconstruction, more of a nibble and a wash out.

Your experience is much appreciated

Cheers

Ben

Re: Knee arthroscopy

There is hope afterwards, but don't rush it. I got mine done at Christmas 2003 and stayed on the bike for 3 months before I tried running just to ease it back in. I did jog round the second half of the 3-peaks from Ribblehead the following April which was my first serious run. It took 2 years to feel completely normal afterwards. Don't be worried or frustrated if you have to keep backing off. It was a fabulous treatment that stopped my knee hurting even when walking, but these tales of people running miles a fortnight later don't help with either their or your recouperation. It will get better but it might take longer than you think. I have no bother nowadays.

Best of luck with the op. Let us know how you get on.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Thanks Harry, that's interesting to know. Was hoping a little unrealistically about making a bash at the Saunders this year but maybe that's a little keen. Ho hum.What did you have done, by the way?

Cheers

Ben

I have had 4 key holes,all by the age of 22 !!
    3 on left and 1 on right knee.I had small tears each time.
    As for your short term plans,i would expect you to back up to race pace in about 4-6 weeks.I played football within 8 days which looking back was a little on the daft side.
    As for long term problems.You basically have 4 knuckles of cartilage on each knee,and you probably have a tear in one of them,meaning they will trim the damaged part away.Thus in the long term will cause you no long term probs whatsoever !

You'll be mad keen to do stuff, but I'd advise caution - you want this one to last don't you? Mine swelled up badly, took quite a while to settle down and I wouldn't have done anything like a MM that soon. I found the rehab worked in quite a narrow band - they got me doing quite a lot early on but I was pretty soon at the top of where they wanted me. Good luck!

Smile Re: Knee arthroscopy

Dont worry about this seven years ago i had a ACL reconsrtuction as well as the cartledge out, since this i have done loads more training and races including Three London Marathons....Keep going !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
    Thanks Harry, that's interesting to know. Was hoping a little unrealistically about making a bash at the Saunders this year but maybe that's a little keen. Ho hum.What did you have done, by the way?

Cheers

Ben
    A torn meniscus plus some minor degredation which were removed.

The op will I'm sure make a difference for the better; keep the Saunders as a goal, but don't push it too early. Get your bike out until it settles down.

All the best

HHH
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Bike? Hmmm - this could get expensive :-)

Thanks for all the comments, folks. Good to hear of some excellent long-term outcomes as well.

It's mostly a problem with the timing - we move to NZ later this year and there isn't really anything quite like the LAMM out there (plus I just delight in the scottish hills, even if the southern alps are more glamorous). This is my last MM chance for a long time, possibly ever, so it would have been nice to have a crack if possible. But then again, I may be better keeping my powder dry (and knee settled) and aiming for the Saunders and then something good in NZ next year - like the Routeburn race or something.

Thanks again

B