Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hallux rigidus/osteoarthritis

Unhappy Hallux rigidus/osteoarthritis

I would really appreciate a reply to the following question?

I have been diagnosed with hallux rigidus of the big toe. I am due to have an operation (chellectomy). I would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has had similar operation. I am interested in recovery and success rates.

Re: Hallux rigidus/osteoarthri

I've the same problem but keeping clear of surgery at present.

Have you seen the following link?

http://www.footphysicians.com/footan...ux-rigidus.htm

Thumbs up Hallux rigidus/osteoarthritis

Quote Originally Posted by tinribs View Post
    I would really appreciate a reply to the following question?I have been diagnosed with hallux rigidus of the big toe. I am due to have an operation (chellectomy). I would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has had similar operation. I am interested in recovery and success rates.
    Due to a family history of osteoarthritis so I've been taking glucosamine for last few years.
    I can't see it doing me any harm & I don't know if it helps but "better safe than sorry".

Regards,

Max.

P.S. Quite a few runners I know also take it as a preventative & cure & swear by it.
    "Do as little as needed not as much as possible" - Henk Kraayenhof.

Never be afraid to take a profit.

Unhappy Re: Hallux rigidus/osteoarthri

I have this problem after a long run or a hard race my big toe is very bad for a couple of days(can't get my walking boots on without pain). Doctors told me I am stuck with it, so would be interested to hear how you get on.

I'd suggest that you don't accept a "you are stuck with it" diagnosis.

If you generally don't have serious problems (I have quite serious deformities on my big toes) then get some professional advice on orthotics etc to stop it getting to my stage!

Good morning Wycoller, I took your advice and after 10 years went back to see a doctor and I now find I have High Blood Pressure , an infection in my urine , one leg 1/4" shorter than the other and am going to have two sleeping policemen inserted into my shoes to reduce the pain( well thats how the doctor descibed them) so now I feel like Donkey from Sherik " I need a Hug" Number 652 in PPP in a Skyrac vest.

PS. On a serious note if you are around 60 have your blood pressure checked, I am 60, no signs or symptons of this condition, felt OK, but it can lead to strokes and heart attacks

Good luck BG - I think my feet might be a bit sore again later tomorrow!

I just had a chellectomy performed this past Monday (April 21, 2008). I can tell you that the surgery was about 30 minutes long (I was under general anesthesia) and I have not had ANY pain or discomfort. I suspect this might be somewhat unique (I was prescribed a strong pain reliever which I did not need to use). I am wearing a surgical shoe and also have kept my (right) foot elevated above my heart level for the past four days. The incision is about 2.5 inches long (I wear a size 13 shoe). I had put this off for a long time and finally spoke to one Podiatrist and two Orthopedic Surgeons. The Podiatrist wanted to do the silicone joint replacement. Both Surgeons were adamantly against this. The second surgeon suggested the joint fusion. The third Surgeon recommended I go the chellectomy route as he felt, based on my symtoms, it would provide the pain relief I would need. He also said that it would leave the other options open to me if or when the need would arise. I can't tell you the outcome yet but I can tell you I am amazed at this early stage of the results I have seen. Let me know if you have any other questions. Best of luck.

Had similar op last March. The surgeon also removed a piece of bone that had been floating about in there.
    One year on less pain, more mobility of the joint but not perfect.
    Was it worth it? Yes.
    Managed to walk/jog Keswick 2 Barrow(40 mile road event) 3 months later.

All the best with your toe
    sbrt

Completed the PPP was last man standing, made H/inn with just 90 seconds to go. Spent Sunday taking tablets and using ice pack, had to use a shoe horn to get my boots on to take dogs out this morning.