Thread: Routes around Teesdale

Routes around Teesdale

Spending a w/e at Holwick Camping Barn near Middleton in Teesdale/High Force in a couple of weeks ( A friend's 40th birthday 'do' part 2) and hope to get out for at least one run - most others there will be walkers/leisure cyclists.

Can anyone recommend any good training routes of up to 90 mins in the area?

Cheers
    MT

Re: Routes around Teesdale

I'll look thru mine Multi as i do some runs up there. Give me a bit and i'll post them . In the meantime the route of the Cronkley Scar fell race is good.
    Also visit the Langdon beck pub , meant to be good.
    Generally going nowhere fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    I'll look thru mine Multi as i do some runs up there. Give me a bit and i'll post them . In the meantime the route of the Cronkley Scar fell race is good.
    Also visit the Langdon beck pub , meant to be good.
    Cheers Alf. Had a good meal and few beers at Langdon Beck pub about 15 months back when stayed at the YH.

MT

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    Spending a w/e at Holwick Camping Barn near Middleton in Teesdale/High Force in a couple of weeks ( A friend's 40th birthday 'do' part 2) and hope to get out for at least one run - most others there will be walkers/leisure cyclists.

Can anyone recommend any good training routes of up to 90 mins in the area?

Cheers
    MT
    I live near Middleton-in- Teesdale and can recommend my 'door-step' run. Basically from the camping barn, cross Scorberry Bridge to Newbiggin. Take the back road through Newbiggin, heading East up Mirie Hill to the road junction near Stable Edge (922278) and then head up the public right of way to Harberry Hill and trig point.

Keep heading North over Coldberry Gutter, past the small reservoir, with the stone wall always to your right. Route climbs gradually in steps, great views to the West. Once over a gate, your're at the weather beds (927304), so contour north-east, following small rocky outcrops, heading for the larger outcrops on the obvious shoulder/step on the hill side (Carr Crags where a dozen old mill stones are found lying around the hill side). A more direct route to the trig point from the weather beds leads you into deep peat hags and boggy heather - so best avoided.

Once at Carr crags, strike out north and slightly east, there's a clear sheep track for some of the way, to the next trig point on Jame's Hill. From James's Hill you can either head west along the ridge to Swinhope head and then follow the unfenced, gated, road back to Newbiggin, or take a much longer route East.

The east route heads over to Middleton Common, to Monk's Moor, along a horseshoe shaped ridge and ends back to Middleton. From Middleton follow the Pennine Way, along the Tees, back to Holwick. If you opt for the longer East route it's best to again avoid the highest ground and stick to the obvious shoulder on the hill side, marked by rocky outcrops, as there's less peat bog.

Alternatively, if your're feeling mega fit there's always the Teesdale Watershed Route (40 miles) . While I've walked this I've never heard of anyone running it!!!. it would be a great challenge as it's trackless, a huge test of navigation in poor weather and lots of old mine shafts to keep you alert.

Sorry to say, but the pubs in Middleton are basically rubbish. However, the Strathmore Arms at Holwick is recommended, as is the Langdon Beck Hotel. High Force Hotel is sadly best avoided - expect a cool reception. Blacksmiths at Mickleton - friendly, welcoming.

Enjoy you're stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I live near Middleton-in- Teesdale and can recommend my 'door-step' run. Basically from the camping barn, cross Scorberry Bridge to Newbiggin. Take the back road through Newbiggin, heading East up Mirie Hill to the road junction near Stable Edge (922278) and then head up the public right of way to Harberry Hill and trig point.

Keep heading North over Coldberry Gutter, past the small reservoir, with the stone wall always to your right. Route climbs gradually in steps, great views to the West. Once over a gate, your're at the weather beds (927304), so contour north-east, following small rocky outcrops, heading for the larger outcrops on the obvious shoulder/step on the hill side (Carr Crags where a dozen old mill stones are found lying around the hill side). A more direct route to the trig point from the weather beds leads you into deep peat hags and boggy heather - so best avoided.

Once at Carr crags, strike out north and slightly east, there's a clear sheep track for some of the way, to the next trig point on Jame's Hill. From James's Hill you can either head west along the ridge to Swinhope head and then follow the unfenced, gated, road back to Newbiggin, or take a much longer route East.

The east route heads over to Middleton Common, to Monk's Moor, along a horseshoe shaped ridge and ends back to Middleton. From Middleton follow the Pennine Way, along the Tees, back to Holwick. If you opt for the longer East route it's best to again avoid the highest ground and stick to the obvious shoulder on the hill side, marked by rocky outcrops, as there's less peat bog.

Alternatively, if your're feeling mega fit there's always the Teesdale Watershed Route (40 miles) . While I've walked this I've never heard of anyone running it!!!. it would be a great challenge as it's trackless, a huge test of navigation in poor weather and lots of old mine shafts to keep you alert.

Sorry to say, but the pubs in Middleton are basically rubbish. However, the Strathmore Arms at Holwick is recommended, as is the Langdon Beck Hotel. High Force Hotel is sadly best avoided - expect a cool reception. Blacksmiths at Mickleton - friendly, welcoming.

Enjoy you're stay.
    Thanks for that Mossdog, I'll get the map out when I get home this evening.

cheers

MT