Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Norway The Only Way Is Up !

In Norway The Only Way Is Up !

Dear friends of mountain running all over the world !

Uphill Mountain Running is on the rise in Norway ! Read the new Top Story “THE ONLY WAY IS UP” on www.mountainrunning.com.

This story helps You to understand the Norwegian uphill mountain running scene.

From five races six years ago there are now more than 60 uphill races taking place in Norway in 2008. In 2007 more than 17.000 runners participated in 55 Mountain Uphill races. Companies race each other, kids race each other, everybody races each other - and always to the top. Trail writer Fredrik Ölmqvist from neighboring -Sweden is naturally jealous of the Norwegian mountain running scene. http://www.mountainrunning.com/featu..._08/index.html

In 2007 more than 70 news-papers and 15 magazines published a total of 200 pages about the new and rising “Norwegian Mountain Running Uphill movement”. Many of the biggest races were broadcasted on Norwegian NRK TV1 and TV2. This Year we also have a new Norwegian National Cup in Mountain Running Uphill sponsored by Powerade. The total amount of Price money is 50.000 Euros ( NOK. 400.000). Please notice that the new race-record-price in the Skaala Uphill is NOK 35.000 ( 4.375 Euros). 1. price is NOK 25.000 ( 3.130 Euros ). If You win the race and cross the finish-line in a new course record time, you will receive NOK 60.000 ( approx. 5.500 Euros) in price money. www.skaala.no.

For more information See: http://www.kondis.no/motbakke/index....Fmotbakke&mid=

Sorry that we so far have almost no information in English. Soon the La Sportiva Fanaraaken Uphill , www.fanaraaken.com will have new information in English. See the spectacular photos from 2007: http://www.kondis.no/default/index.p...f/forsiden&mid

In the Norwegian style of mountain running, there is no downhill racing at all, thanks to the very steep and rocky trails.

The finish line is always situated on the absolute summit as it is at the top of Skaala 1848 m above the fjord. Skaala is the highest mountain i northern Europe having the foot in the Fjord On www.mountainrunning.com You will see the spectacular, magnificent and breathtaking view at the top of Skaala. The photographer Anne Jenny Dvergsdal shows the European Champion 2007 Anita Håkenstad Evertsen close to the finish line on Skaala winning the first Norwegian Championship in mountain running uphill in 2005 ahead of Olympic cross country skier Kristin Størmer Steira.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if You want more information about mountain races in Norway .

Best regards

Christian Prestegård

Member of the EUROPEAN ATHLETICS MOUNTAIN RUNNING COMMISSION

Head of the Norwegian Committee of Mountain Running Uphill inside the Norwegian Athletics Federation

Editor www.kondis.no/motbakke

Chr. Prestegård Motivasjon-Consult
    Nils Collett Vogts vei 24
    N-0766 OSLO, NORWAY

Tlf. + 47 99 52 11 99
    E-mail: [email protected]

Re: In Norway The Only Way Is

Quote Originally Posted by Eirik The Viking View Post
    In the Norwegian style of mountain running, there is no downhill racing at all, thanks to the very steep and rocky trails.
    That's a shame. The downhill is the best part for me!
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Yes, normally I prefer running downhill (may change my mind when on top of Ingleborugh on Saturday though) too but they say running downhill from some of the summits of the Uphill only races in Norway is too dangerous...
    Last edited by Eirik The Viking; 21-04-2008 at 11:37 PM.

Ingleborough? It's Whernside you want to be worried about!

Quote Originally Posted by Eirik The Viking View Post
    Yes, normally I prefer running downhill (may change my mind when on top of Ingleborugh on Saturday though) too but they say running downhill from the some of summits of the Uphill only races in Norway is too dangerous...
    I'm sure its lethal running downhill in Norway. The trouble is, its the same in many of our fell races but we still do it - two or three descents on Borrowdale are ludicrous for instance, Geronimo on Pendle is suicidal, the Ben is supposed to be bonkers.

Great info & links ETV just what I need to get me out on the hills and mountains after the long hours at work

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I'm sure its lethal running downhill in Norway. The trouble is, its the same in many of our fell races but we still do it - two or three descents on Borrowdale are ludicrous for instance, Geronimo on Pendle is suicidal, the Ben is supposed to be bonkers.
    I agree, some of the descents in Snowdonia, Lake District and Scotland are quite mental.

There would actually be no problems running down from most of the ‘Uphill race summits’ but we don’t seem to race downhill in Norway.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    The trouble is, its the same in many of our fell races but we still do it - two or three descents on Borrowdale are ludicrous for instance, Geronimo on Pendle is suicidal, the Ben is supposed to be bonkers.
    Not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain please.
    Now't wrong wi me, its t'others.

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain please.
    What is this? The Spanish Inquisition?

Not trying to "mean" anything really.

Sorry. Only asked a question.
    Now't wrong wi me, its t'others.