Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Norway The Only Way Is Up !

Re: In Norway The Only Way Is

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I'm sure its lethal running downhill in Norway. The trouble is, its the same in many of our fell races but we still do it - two or three descents on Borrowdale are ludicrous for instance, Geronimo on Pendle is suicidal, the Ben is supposed to be bonkers.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain please.
    When I first read Stollys post yesterday I thought he was implying that Pendle and Ben were descents on the Borrowdale route...

It's all in the intonation...

david

Only asked a question.
    What a daft thing to do .

Sorry. Only asked a question.
    Sorry Peejay, maybe I misread your post asking what I meant by my post. It came across like you thought I had some sort of axe to grind.... but that could just be me reading your question with the wrong intonation .

Like I said I didn't mean anything in that I wasn't trying to argue a point either way. I was with one hand trying to not criticise Norwegians for not running down hill (having no idea at all what kind of terrain their races are run on) but at the same time just commenting that serious drops over rough terrain aren't an obstacle in UK fell races.

And by 'ludicrous', 'suicidal' and 'bonkers', I of course meant super, smashing and great

I ran one of these races and enjoyed it, however I would have enjoyed it even more if we'd been able to race back down again. I ran down it fairly quickly afterwards which was fun, but certainly no hazardous than anything I've done in Lakes or Scottish races. Indeed, comparing it to some of the Jura descents or Arrochar Alps it was a walk in the park.
    Last edited by Oscar; 28-04-2008 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Sorry Peejay, maybe I misread your post asking what I meant by my post. It came across like you thought I had some sort of axe to grind.... but that could just be me reading your question with the wrong intonation .

Like I said I didn't mean anything in that I wasn't trying to argue a point either way. I was with one hand trying to not criticise Norwegians for not running down hill (having no idea at all what kind of terrain their races are run on) but at the same time just commenting that serious drops over rough terrain aren't an obstacle in UK fell races.

And by 'ludicrous', 'suicidal' and 'bonkers', I of course meant super, smashing and great
    Thanks for that Stolly. My fault for not understanding your statement. I only meant it to be a polite query, but I thought afterwards we shouldn't really be highjacking a good tread about uphill running in Norway with a discussion on the pros and cons of British fell running. Maybe another thread another time...
    Now't wrong wi me, its t'others.

I presume these races are serviced by cable cars or chair lifts so that you can ride back down? T'would be daft to walk back!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I think you have to make your own way down after finishing these races. Seems a bit daft yes.

I agree with Stolly that the British way of running down any steep descent is just 'Super-smashing-great' so I say we got no 'excuses' for not racing down hill.
    Last edited by Eirik The Viking; 23-04-2008 at 11:15 AM.

I like the idea of whole companies taking their staff out for a race up a mountain - can't see that catching on over here somehow!

Anyway... some more races to file under the category of ' things to do one day'

After the 3 peaks race I had a fascinating conversation with, Christian Prestegaard the on route 'Paparazzi Photographer' and Norwegian Uphill Running ‘chief’.

He told me that as mountain running in Norway is uphill only , The winner of the Junfrau marathon last year, Anita Haakenstad who is arguable the best uphill mountain runner in the world, simply did not have the legs to do what he described as extreme downhill running.

He also told me that he was very impressed with the organisation of the event and very fascinated by beautiful countryside in the Dales and extremely impressed by way the British runners 'flew' down the Mountains.

I like mountain running and personally I would say yes please to all sorts of mountain running.

I think I'll have to enter skaala (http://www.skaala.no/) this year.

Happy running