Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Running in Thunderstorms

Re: Running in Thunderstorms

Kinky sod.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

About ten years ago one Saturday afternoon I was on Fairfield Horseshoe. Had just come off Dove Crag and was heading along the wall towards High Pike.
    I'd spotted (well you couldn't miss it) the storm coming up the middle of the valley from Rydal, and so I was covering the ground in a hurry. However, given I was running towards the storm I knew I was no real way out.
    It was the scariest time I've ever spent on the fells. The ligtning was striking all around, I swear one bolt hit the ground just 10 yards in front of me.
    Sh11ting it and unsure what to do I crouched down as low as I could in the corner where two walls meet.
    The storm eventually passed and I ran back to Rydal. A decade or so on, I'm always on the lookout for the next storm while on the fells and if one is on its way I'll lose as much height as poss as quickly as poss.

Very scarey stuff! Hope we don't get a repeat on May 17th !!

What a coinsidence ha....it was thundering and lightening today......not quite running though but cricket. I was playing for my local village team today when the thunder and lightning started, it went on for 2 hours before the rain started. But when it did the pitch became 100% submerged. As the lightning started stricking th ground, one of my 6'5 teammates legged it off the pitch into the pavillion. Thank god im only 5'10.

Was on Dodd Fell in thunder and lightening today and was not a happy camper.

Had a metal tent pole sticking out of my bag at the time and I just felt a moving target. No chance of descending fast as it would have meant I would have missed my train from Dent so just had to go with it.

Some of the lightening seemed VERY close. Didn't see the rod, was more like an orb and felt the ground shake.

I have to admit I have never felt as vulnerable before in any situation. Meant I got back to the train in time though!

AFJ....went u say dodd fell do ya mean in the lakes....near skiddaw?

Quote Originally Posted by fowler765 View Post
    AFJ....went u say dodd fell do ya mean in the lakes....near skiddaw?
    No he means in the Dales. it's near Fleet Moss Shakes involantary

We have had several experiences of being out in the high hills with thunder. The first I remember was camping wild at about 11,000 feet in the States- I don't normally fear lightning etc but lying there with two metal poles pointing skyward made me worry.
    More recent adventures have been in Europe and with the children- the Dolomites having escaped off a via feratta, the Pyrenees where you could smell buring in the air, the rock was singing and hair was on end until the cherry sized hail began. We couldn't descend as the rocky way down was under 6 inches of frozen hail.
    And two other occassions where we have hurredly finished a via feratta(in France and in Italy) and then raced down the hill slope to safety. The one in Italy gave the boys their first experience of a fantastic scree run at break neck speed!

Never had a near miss in UK yet and the stuff at Buttermere last weekend was not that close when I was on the tops

karen