Thread: Why...

Why...

...is it that only the good die young?

Sad news today for the South Wales fell scene and the wider community of like minded people. Fred Parry passed away after a very short fight against an unfair medical condition.

Fred was one of lifes genuine good guys. Someone who always brought a smile to people, who lifted spirits, who gave enthusiasm and true friendship.
    He gave up his knees for the sport, and when no longer able to compete, became a stalwart of the marshalling crew. It is fitting that the last time I saw him, just a few weeks ago, was on the summit of Llantony Mountain.
    The best way to remember a true lover of hill sports and people.
    My deepest sympathies go to his family, his friends and his clubmates in MDC.

Life is short. Fred lived it to the full. So should we.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Re: Why...

never even heard of him but sounds like a top bloke,like most people in fell running,sad news

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    ...is it that only the good die young?

Sad news today for the South Wales fell scene and the wider community of like minded people. Fred Parry passed away after a very short fight against an unfair medical condition.

Fred was one of lifes genuine good guys. Someone who always brought a smile to people, who lifted spirits, who gave enthusiasm and true friendship.
    He gave up his knees for the sport, and when no longer able to compete, became a stalwart of the marshalling crew. It is fitting that the last time I saw him, just a few weeks ago, was on the summit of Llantony Mountain.
    The best way to remember a true lover of hill sports and people.
    My deepest sympathies go to his family, his friends and his clubmates in MDC.

Life is short. Fred lived it to the full. So should we.
    Perfectly put Wheeze.
    Fred was one of the very best of men, we are all so much the poorer for his passing. We share many happy memories of him and I am sure that over the coming days and weeks some of the tales will be re-told. In the meantime our thoughts and prayers must be with his family.
    So long Fred, you will be missed but never forgotten.
    Toffer

Very sad, I didn't know him but another good one gone. The hills will be emptier for his passing.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Life can be truly wonderful yet so so cruel. Snatched life is always hard to take, we have both lived through it. Live, love and enjoy.

Sat in the conservatory tonight with a big fat one. Smoked in memory of Fred, or Ffrwd as he was fondly known after an appropriate typo in a fell running write up many moons ago. Hey ho. But Fred was cheerfulness personified so lets not get too maudlin'.

Bugger.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master and MR

a nice tribute wheeze
    well done

I don't know Fred, and I am sorry to hear about someones loss, but the first post of this thread made me think, why is it we only notice someone's loss when they'e gone, when they would have been better appreciated in life. How many people are there still living who you will think "what a sad loss" when they're gone. Perhaps the best thing you can do after the sad loss of one invidual is use it to appreciate those people who are still around us who will be gone one day.

Condolences to everyone who knew him, obviously a lot of people miss him, but I guess this thread won't reduce their loss, only let them know that people are thinking of those who feel it the most.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post
    I don't know Fred, and I am sorry to hear about someones loss, but the first post of this thread made me think, why is it we only notice someone's loss when they'e gone, when they would have been better appreciated in life.
    It's an interesting comment Allan. The Colin Robinson MT Race organised by Andy O'Sullivan MBE is named after a bloke who is very much alive and kicking. Andy does various races like this.

Yes I can remember Colin's amazing descent of Whernside to the Hill Inn
    in the 1969 Three Peaks - 12min 44secs! Still a record