Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Pendle Cloughs Fell Race

david

Re: Pendle Cloughs Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
    or the later revived version which Colin Taylor organised as a midweek evening race.
    Colin Taylor definitely organised the Saturday race for a while in the early 80s. I remember we nearly trampled all over the very old and frail Lord Clitheroe at the start one year . Does anyone else remember walking the plank to get over the wall on the descent of Worsaw Hill?

david

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Colin Taylor definitely organised the Saturday race for a while in the early 80s.
    Never post without checking the facts . Colin Taylor organise the Downham race on Saturdays from 1987 to 1991.

Colin Taylor definitely organised the Saturday race for a while in the early 80s. I remember we nearly trampled all over the very old and frail Lord Clitheroe at the start one year . Does anyone else remember walking the plank to get over the wall on the descent of Worsaw Hill?
    Yes! 1983. Lord Clitheroe's "man" propped him up against the telegraph pole, whilst his Lordship started the race with his "service revolver". Alistair Patten was the organiser that year. It was the last year ( so I'm informed by those who ran it in following years ) that you "walked the plank" and "jumped the wall" ( about 7 or 8 feet high, down into a clump of nettles). John Wild turned up that year and set a stonking record. I took around 56 minutes.

i would be up for a recce then again do i remember how to run!!

Yes, I remember the plank but in later years it was a case of simply jump the fence!.

It used to be a 5.5m route up until 1991 when it was very misty and Colin got a lot of gyp from some of the competitors who wandered off course and ended up in Barley (dozy bu??ers). It created much debate in the FRA around what determines a course that could be described as 'partly marked' or 'obvious route' or local knowledge'. He was so pi??ed of that in 1992 he decided not to organise it and there was no race. The following year, after much coaxing, he orgainsed a low key event of 6.5m with an extra climb in the middle (I finished 9th that year). This later route continued until 1997 after which permsion from a new local farmer was difficult to obtain, and sadly the race fell off the calendar.

So, a new race dawns. The checkpoints give some interesting route choice. I can't wait.
    See the light in the night

See the light in the night

Challenging route. I'm worried about causing more erosion on Pendle, though. There's already a trod round the Full Tour. Some sections are really bad - climb from Churn Clough to Spence Moor, Geronimo descent into Ogden, descent on Downham side. Wouldn't like to add to the problem.
    The only way is up.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Challenging route. I'm worried about causing more erosion on Pendle, though. There's already a trod round the Full Tour. Some sections are really bad - climb from Churn Clough to Spence Moor, Geronimo descent into Ogden, descent on Downham side. Wouldn't like to add to the problem.
    I have read on the Clayton website the concerns of the commitee about the erosion on the full Tour route and must admite that it seems worse this year, this could be due to a few factors, a wet winter, more people running on the hill, the increase use of head torches which means the routes haven't had the reduced amount of traffic in the wetter winter months, or could it be the increased number of people using the Inov8 Mudclaw soles which tend to churn the ground up a lot more and say a Walsh sole. As for the Pendle Cloughs route I have tried to keep away from the Full Tour route as much as possible, with this in mind, and the fact that I hope there will be more route choices may spread the load but I will be keeping an eye on the situation.
    Although the Tour is my favorite race, may be its time it was rested for a year.

Im not worried about finding my way round coz Studmarks will have eroded a route just with the amount of times he`s recced the course

Quote Originally Posted by studmarks View Post
    That would be interesting if you could
    The Downham race organised by Simon Moyle used to start outside the Asheton Arms - go up the road as far as Lane Side and then head through Gerna Farm - then went through fields towards Hookcliffe Plantation then briefly left back to the road. It then went up the permissive path up towards the top of the Big End and then the trig. From the trig it took a line across the bog to the right of the slabs - dropping into the beginnings of Ogden Clough just to the left of the wall running back towards Clitheroe. It then headed straight to Clitheroe by the side of the wall - a very steep descent to Barkerfield/Moorside then following the track to the road and the "sting in the tail" Worsaw Hill. From the top of Worsaw it was sharp right - walk the plank and back to Downham via the fields adjacent to Longlands Wood.
    Colin Taylor did continue this route on a Saturday afternoon race - but as Mapper has said got fed up with complaints about flagging after one event where alot got lost in the mist (including Mapper although he wasnt one of the complainers!!).
    The evening route which ran from 1993 to 1997 was an even tougher route for a short race. It started in the fields near the finish of the original race and went out the reverse of the old finish. Looking at the map I cant remember the actual fields, but I think it followed the dotted footpath off West Lane towards Ridding Wood & Hookcliffe. It then climbed to directly to the top of Pendle to the Wall stile just after the big cairn/shelter 795418. From there it went to the gate at 805418, then descended to the bottom of the last big climb on the Tour of Pendle. It then went back to the Wall stile at 795418!! and then more or less reverse of the outward leg (except it took in Worsaw Hill without the plank!! It was a brilliant race and a great shame it no longer exists.

Now then - 5 cloughs!
    I think it was Tom Target who organised this race - I did it in 1991,92 & 94. Started in Sabden and went out towards Churn Clough Res via Calf Hill (over the top). It then went to the same gate from the Res that the Tour & 1/2 Tour use, but then skirted around Bank Hill to Stainscomb where you had to follow the clough between Wood House Dole and Lower Dole up to the top. You then dropped into Ogden Clough and picked up Boar Clough, following this right to the top. You then crossed Barley Moor and dropped into the top of the "big dipper" (used in the Full Tour and Mearley race) and descended right to the bottom where the Full Tour checkpoint was. From there you had to contour right around the bottom of Mearley Moor until you picked up Ashenden Clough - this had to be followed to almost the top of Howcroft Brook from where you crossed Badger Wells Hill & back to Sabden via Deerstones and the side of Calf Hill. The rules were that you had to run in the bottom of the Cloughs rather than up on the banking. They were tough races and it's a shame they have fallen by the wayside - rather like the Clitheroe Fell race (organised by Len Farnsworth) which was a classic shorter race.