Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Pendle Cloughs Fell Race

Re: Pendle Cloughs Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
    The Downham race organised by Simon Moyle used to start outside the Asheton Arms - go up the road as far as Lane Side and then head through Gerna Farm - then went through fields towards Hookcliffe Plantation then briefly left back to the road. It then went up the permissive path up towards the top of the Big End and then the trig. From the trig it took a line across the bog to the right of the slabs - dropping into the beginnings of Ogden Clough just to the left of the wall running back towards Clitheroe. It then headed straight to Clitheroe by the side of the wall - a very steep descent to Barkerfield/Moorside then following the track to the road and the "sting in the tail" Worsaw Hill. From the top of Worsaw it was sharp right - walk the plank and back to Downham via the fields adjacent to Longlands Wood.
    Colin Taylor did continue this route on a Saturday afternoon race - but as Mapper has said got fed up with complaints about flagging after one event where alot got lost in the mist (including Mapper although he wasnt one of the complainers!!).
    The evening route which ran from 1993 to 1997 was an even tougher route for a short race. It started in the fields near the finish of the original race and went out the reverse of the old finish. Looking at the map I cant remember the actual fields, but I think it followed the dotted footpath off West Lane towards Ridding Wood & Hookcliffe. It then climbed to directly to the top of Pendle to the Wall stile just after the big cairn/shelter 795418. From there it went to the gate at 805418, then descended to the bottom of the last big climb on the Tour of Pendle. It then went back to the Wall stile at 795418!! and then more or less reverse of the outward leg (except it took in Worsaw Hill without the plank!! It was a brilliant race and a great shame it no longer exists.

Now then - 5 cloughs!
    I think it was Tom Target who organised this race - I did it in 1991,92 & 94. Started in Sabden and went out towards Churn Clough Res via Calf Hill (over the top). It then went to the same gate from the Res that the Tour & 1/2 Tour use, but then skirted around Bank Hill to Stainscomb where you had to follow the clough between Wood House Dole and Lower Dole up to the top. You then dropped into Ogden Clough and picked up Boar Clough, following this right to the top. You then crossed Barley Moor and dropped into the top of the "big dipper" (used in the Full Tour and Mearley race) and descended right to the bottom where the Full Tour checkpoint was. From there you had to contour right around the bottom of Mearley Moor until you picked up Ashenden Clough - this had to be followed to almost the top of Howcroft Brook from where you crossed Badger Wells Hill & back to Sabden via Deerstones and the side of Calf Hill. The rules were that you had to run in the bottom of the Cloughs rather than up on the banking. They were tough races and it's a shame they have fallen by the wayside - rather like the Clitheroe Fell race (organised by Len Farnsworth) which was a classic shorter race.
    Thanks for that info Also Ran very interesting it sounds like the Pendle Cloughs race may have a lot to live up to.

Can I take my Bike
    I might be Tup , But not too Tup to know that I am Tup:w00t:

Think it should be renamed:

"Pendle Choughing Hell Race"

Its going to be a toughy !!!!!
    After climbing a great hill one only finds that there are many more hills to climb ......

Quote Originally Posted by grifter View Post
    Heres a new race for all those of you who enjoy running around Pendle Hill

PENDLE CLOUGHS FELL RACE
    Saturday 26th July 2008
    AL 14 miles 3900ft accent
    Start time 2.00pm

The idea for the race came from two know defunct races the Downham Fell Race and the Five Cloughs Fell Race, as no one I asked seemed to remember the exact route of the races I decided to make up my own combining the two, the result is the Pendle Cloughs Fell Race starting and finishing in the picturesque village of Downham and is an AL category race of 14 miles with an ascent of 3900ft.

It takes in seven Cloughs of Brast Clough, Mearley Clough, Ogden Clough, Deep Clough, Churn Clough, Ashendean Clough, and Boar Clough.
    The course will only be partially flagged following the quite lane from Downham to just past the stile at the bottom of Worston moor, and from the road crossing to the finish across the fields.
    There will be 9 Checkpoints all unmanned except CP 3 & CP 6 which must be visited in order the route taken between being up to the individual, as long as walls and fences are crossed via stiles, and private land is not crossed. (Keep within the access areas)
    A system of Orienteering clippers will be used at each Checkpoint, for those not accustomed to orienteering events competitors will be given a card containing numbered boxes, i.e. arrive at checkpoint 1 use the clipper attached and punch box 1 on the card and so on.
    EQUIPMENT
    Competitors must carry all of the following equipment as stipulated by the FRA
    a) Windproof whole body cover.
    b) Other body cover appropriate for the weather conditions.
    c) Map and compass suitable for navigating the course.
    d) Whistle.
    e) Emergency food.
    No GPS equipment allowed
    Kit checks will be carried out,
    No kit no race.
    Anyone dropping out of the race must report back to Race Control at the Finish
    EXPERIENCE
    ER Experience required NS Navigational Skills Essential LK local knowledge an advantage. PM. Course only partially marked, at Start and across fields at Finish.
    Please don’t drop litter on the course.
    There are Toilet facilities and Parking but it can be fairly restricted at times due to the village being popular with tourists so car sharing is recommended.
    GRID REFERENCES
    START SD 785 440 Downham Village (on road by car park)

CP 1 SD 783 411 Stream crossingBottom of Mearley Clough
    CP 2 SD 787 404 Boundarystone
    CP 3 SD 809 418 South side of wall in corner, Bottom of Big end
    CP 4 SD 806 405 North side of Deep Clough
    CP 5 SD 796 384 Between track walls (Staincomb)
    CP 6 SD 777 396 Knoll Bottom of Ashendean Clough Manned
    CP 7 SD 798 398 Middle Pendle way sign Boar Clough
    CP 8 SD 804 420 Foxes Well
    CP 9 SD 797 433 Barn, Lane Head
    FINISH SD 786 440 Downham Village (lane by stream)

£4.00 entry to Andy Hirst 29 Darnbrook Rd Barnoldswick BB18 5RE
    Tel. 01282 812701
    Should be interesting !!!!!!!!
    Could you note the slight changes to grid references and checkpoints mainly C.P.2 Boundary stone CP 3 & CP 6 manned and C.P.7 middle Pendle way sign, for the latest information for this race please visit the Wharfedale Harriers website race up dates at http://www.wharfedaleharriers.org.uk...e_cloughs.html

GRID REFERENCES
    START SD 785 440 Downham Village (on road by car park)
    CP 1 SD 783 411 Stream crossing bottom of Mearley Clough
    CP 2 SD 787 404 Boundary Stone
    CP 3 Manned SD 809 418 South side of wall in corner, Bottom of Big end
    CP 4 SD 806 405 North side of Deep Clough
    CP 5 SD 796 384 Between track walls Staincomb
    CP 6 Manned SD 777 396 Knoll bottom of Ashendean Clough
    CP 7 SD 798 398 Middle Pendle way sign bottom of Boar Clough
    CP 8 SD 804 420 Robin Hood or Foxes Well
    CP 9 SD 797 433 Barn, Lane Head
    FINISH SD 786 440 Downham Village (lane by stream)

£4.00 entry to Andy Hirst 29 Darnbrook Rd Barnoldswick Lanc’s BB18 5RE
    or Contact Andrew Hirst Tel: 01282812701 email [email protected]
    Last edited by studmarks; 07-06-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Fellhound

I was initially enthusiastic about this race but now I'm not so sure....

It would have been good as an orienteering type of event with the checkpoints kept secret until the day, but as a fell race with CPs publicised up front and everyone reccying it to death it just becomes another contorted route like Winter Hill or the Tour of Pendle. In fact maybe even more contrived than those two.

The CP locations are rather odd and don't really lead you onto the best bits of Pendle but, as Smoothy said, maybe the best bits are now getting too eroded.

I've often thought that the Ingleborough massif would be a good location for a race like this... now there's an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post

It would have been good as an orienteering type of event with the checkpoints kept secret until the day, but as a fell race with CPs publicised up front and everyone reccying it to death it just becomes another contorted route like Winter Hill or the Tour of Pendle. In fact maybe even more contrived than those two.

The CP locations are rather odd and don't really lead you onto the best bits of Pendle but, as Smoothy said, maybe the best bits are now getting too eroded.

I've often thought that the Ingleborough massif would be a good location for a race like this... now there's an idea.
    Did a race like that over ingleborough last year, so bit late on that one.

Just to add to the excitement it was a score event that started at midnight and took you all around that area. Finished off with a bit of caving, mountain biking, cliff jumping and an abseil and managing to finish a good 12 hours later.

Hmm I reckon the GR's on the day would have been an excellent one! But this however still seems a great race. Shame that after 1 year everyone will know the route. Guess it will have to change year on year eh studmarks?

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post

I take your point Trundler about an orienteering type event and to keep the CPs secret till the day and in an ideal world would have been great, and something I had thought of for the first year at least.
    But other factors dictate, (and yes I know the Mountain Trail is run along these lines but on a much larger and professional scale) to register a race under the FRA and satisfy (UK athletics insurance) you must notify them of the race route and how you are going to monitor runners progress, knowing the navigational skills of some fell runners and the fact only two CP's are manned, I thought it was wise to make them available before the race then people could at least have an idea of the route and not wondering aimlessly about on the day which would have made the race progress harder to control, and also if it was in the scope of there ability and fitness as far as distance climbs etc.
    The route was initially planned as a Fell race, but to try and give route choices between CPs, something I hope will happen but time will tell? and yes the CP's are in odd locations but deliberately for the reason above as for the routes not taking you on to the best parts of Pendle, that’s a personal preference, if you mean it doesn't cover the same ground as the other races then yes your right something I did deliberately, to take people to areas they may not normally have run on, and steer them away from the well worn over used routes.
    I hope you come and give it a go on the day and let me know what you think, you never now you might enjoy it.

I have gone round what I think is the route, and it's taken me to bits of Pendle I don't know, and I've enjoyed being in. It'll make a great race route. Letting people know the CPs makes it fairer for those who don't live locally, and a better race.

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    Did a race like that over ingleborough last year, so bit late on that one.
    Are you sure? The one you describe doesn't sound like your conventional fell race..

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by studmarks View Post
    I take your point Trundler about an orienteering type event and to keep the CPs secret till the day and in an ideal world would have been great, ........ to register a race under the FRA and satisfy (UK athletics insurance) you must notify them of the race route and how you are going to monitor runners progress, knowing the navigational skills of some fell runners and the fact only two CP's are manned, I thought it was wise to make them available before the race ........The route was initially planned as a Fell race, but to try and give route choices between CPs.....the CP's are in odd locations but deliberately for the reason above .... to take people to areas they may not normally have run on, and steer them away from the well worn over used routes.
    All good points studmarks. I hope it's a success. The route is certainly innovative. Even I don't know where that 'boundary stone' is!