Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Peaks Litter

Angry Three Peaks Litter

Did anybody else notice the serious amount of litter dropped by runners at this event? I know its been raised before, but yesterday took the problem to new heights - particularly on the climb up Whernside.
    Many drinks bottles were simply discarded - many had runner numbers on them so the culprits should be easy to identify.
    How hard is it to keep in your bumbag either until a checkpoint or till the end.
    I am appalled

Re: Three Peaks Litter

Quote Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
    Did anybody else notice the serious amount of litter dropped by runners at this event? I know its been raised before, but yesterday took the problem to new heights - particularly on the climb up Whernside.
    Many drinks bottles were simply discarded - many had runner numbers on them so the culprits should be easy to identify.
    How hard is it to keep in your bumbag either until a checkpoint or till the end.
    I am appalled
    Definitely the worst I've ever seen. Don't know whether it was non fellrunners or just the number of runners but is unacceptable. I was running with a woman at point and we were discussing it when a runner in front discarded a bottle. She really growled at him and told him what she thought. He didn't pick it up though.

It's true. I noticed it as well. A lot of people had tried to be 'helpful' by leaving bottles and gel sachets next to marker flags, but it must have been hard for the helpers who were removing flags and tape to have to double as refuse collectors.
    I was especially struck by the number of escaped Jelly Babies. On the steep section of Ingleborough there was one every few yards. In fact, the flags weren't needed - you just had to follow the JBs. Still, I suppose that they'll soon dissolve, unlike a lot of the other stuff.

Master and MR

handed my two lucozade bar wrappers to a marshal
    whats wrong with these idiots

I think part of it is that the race allows you to drop off drinks at Ribblehead and Hill Inn - these drinks are I guess in the main picked up and drank with the bottle in hand. That leaves the bottle holder with the choice of stowing an empty or leaving it (albeit in the main) by a flag.

Bloody appalling, why carry a full bottle up a hill, drink it and not carry an empty one down????

I've never seen so much crap.

Next year the PPP organisers shouldn't transport drinks to RH and NI, the number of bottles discarded after a kilometre or so was disgusting.
    Eight Eccentrics of Yangzhou

Quote Originally Posted by butterdale View Post
    just a point i so bottles with numbers on surely they could name and shame the culperits
    Nice idea, but some of the litter louts could be devious and take someone else bottle

I didn't use the drinks dispensary - carried my own bottles and kept them all the way around, as well as taking all my own rubbish.

I thought Whernside was worst - they were all over the show, and with the wind, empty plastic bottles and wrappers will now be all over the fell.

I would suggest a one year ban from the PPP for anyone caught, but I know of other peoples bottles having been taken as Slang has said - so it's difficult to prove.

I passed my bottle to a marshall and I apologised for it being so sticky. I got accused of dropping a wrapper but I checked my bumbag and it was still there. There was a lot of litter to be fair

There was a guy some 100m ahead of me on the road to Ribblehead who lobbed some rubbish into the field . Unbelievable.

I picked up a couple of fresh-looking JBs on the way up Whernside. If others want to carry my food for me, fine - though could wish they'd let us know advance .