Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Peaks Litter

Re: Three Peaks Litter

I was going to post on the same thing. Lots of gel wrappers and bottles after Ribblehead and Hill Inn. We went for a walk around Ribblehead on Sunday and there wasn't any rubbish in evience which says a lot for the efficiency of the organisers. I handed my bottle to one of the spectators at Ribblehead who kindly agreed to bin it for me. Not hard to do really.

My wife was on the Sulber Nick water station and said that the majority of people were dropping off rubbish with her, so it must be a minority who need some sort of wake-up call.

You see an even worse problem on cyclosportives where a significant number of competitors think it Ok to drop gel wrappers and other rubbish on the road. I just don't understand how these people can think that it is acceptable.

I was amazed at the amount of litter - there's no excuse for dropping empty bottles or gel wrappers, they weigh next to nothing.

I used the drinks drops, but then carried the bottle through to the next checkpoint.

there's an easy answer to this...make these long distance fell races like mountain marathons. anything you want to eat or drink on the way round you have to carry with you and take away...ie you're totally self sufficient.everyone would be in the same boat then and it would be up to each individual to work out the trade off between extra weight and the benefit of drink/calories. if its felt drink stations are necessary then drinks should have to be consumed at the station and the cup left there.

ultimately if something isn't done land owners will remove the right for certain races to cross their land.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
    there's an easy answer to this...make these long distance fell races like mountain marathons. anything you want to eat or drink on the way round you have to carry with you and take away...ie you're totally self sufficient.everyone would be in the same boat then and it would be up to each individual to work out the trade off between extra weight and the benefit of drink/calories. if its felt drink stations are necessary then drinks should have to be consumed at the station and the cup left there.
    The only trouble with that solution is that it heavily favours supported runners, who have buddies out on the course with drinks for them. Us sad loners will then be forced to find some friends!

Despite struggling round and feeling rough(!), I always managed to pop water cups into a marhsalls bag. Not a problem, is it really?

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    The only trouble with that solution is that it heavily favours supported runners, who have buddies out on the course with drinks for them. Us sad loners will then be forced to find some friends!
    Stolly, I'm sure you've got loads of friends.....! I took a Camleback type thing and only used about 3/4. Supplemented with water and some of Jamie's jelly babies!

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    Stolly, I'm sure you've got loads of friends.....! I took a Camleback type thing and only used about 3/4. Supplemented with water and some of Jamie's jelly babies!
    The extra water stations meant that I just carried one bottle of drink with me, and I didn't drink all that either, with my very own supply of JBs. All JBs counted in and counted out, with none dropped en route.

I nearly sicked a few up mind you...............

There was a lot of litter round the course, but John Broxaps two dogs did a good job of vaccuming up the jelly babies on Inglebugger.

Runner 135 seem to feature highly at various points of the course!!

Leaving debris by flags is totally unacceptable. No consideration given to the wind i.e. on W'side whisking the detritus away from the marker post. Numpties - ban em!

Quote Originally Posted by Ginge Whinge View Post
    Runner 135 seem to feature highly at various points of the course!!

Leaving debris by flags is totally unacceptable. No consideration given to the wind i.e. on W'side whisking the detritus away from the marker post. Numpties - ban em!
    Runner 137 I understand left a piece of his leg on the course! Hanging's not good enough