Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Peaks Litter

Re: Three Peaks Litter

I had bottles at RH and HI. I passed both empties to unknown (to me) supporters,who were more than happy to assist. This was no hinderance to my pace.I have just removed the 3 sticky gel wrappers from my bumbag. Hope the few lazy louts read this thread and buck their ideas up!

It drives me mad. I even saw a gel wrapper near the top of Pen-Y-Ghent. Why on earth do you need a gel after half an hour?

I just carried a 330ml bottle in my bum bag & drank at each of the drinks stations - seemed plenty to me.

The amount of litter struck me as well. I was virtually at the back so I probably saw the lot. It's selfish and lazy. Some consideration was shown by placing it next to marker flags (mostly). That's all well and good but how many bin bags will the volunteers need to contain so many people's cast-offs? They will already have their hands full with the markers. There's no problem running with a bottle and a wrapper or two, is there?. I ran with two bottles and kept all my own wrappers. Apart from getting water refills at the aid stations, I remained self sufficient throughout. It's not difficult.

The organisers, marshals and supporters did a marvellous job and deserve wholehearted congratulations.

I sounds as though the ordanisers share some of the responsibility by supplying bottles of drinks en route - is this a fell race or a road race?
    Handing your chocolate wrappers and empty bottles to already overworked marshals isn't a good idea either. Some would probably like to hand over their cags if the sun came out!
    Yiannis

Who are these people!? Do they think they are a special case or something? You take something ON to the hill/fell, you eat/drink it and take the wrappers/bottles OFF again.

The pre-race talk took care to ask people not to leave litter. I get the feeling that because people are exerting themsleves to such a degree, they have some feeling of entitlement to mess up the hill as they go on their merry way.

I picked up 3 gel wrappers of the same type at diffrent points in the second half of MMM. I'd like to think it was a dilettante road runner dabbling in a spot of fell running, but you can't tell these days.

No excuses. Its not ROCKET SURGERY. You are NOT special. GET A GRIP!!!
    Last edited by Oscar; 28-04-2008 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    The only trouble with that solution is that it heavily favours supported runners, who have buddies out on the course with drinks for them. Us sad loners will then be forced to find some friends!
    Stolly, that is one of the main benefits of being in a club. I was below the final steep climb on Whernside, supporting our Bowland members with water, bananas and boiled potatoes. I was amazed at the number of runners from far bigger clubs than Bowland, who begged water and food off me. Don't these bigger clubs organise any support for their members in longer races?
    What's happening to the old values of clubmanship - "If you aren't doing the event, get out and support your clubmates that are!"

I was very happy that a dozen or so runners passed empty gel wrappers and drinks bottles to me, to be carried out, rather than dropped on the fell. It still begs the question, " Having carried it that far, full: is it really going to be that much more detrimental to your performance to carry it to the finish, empty?"

Bollocks to perfomance- if you take stuff onto the hill, take it off again even if you do go slower

end of.

glad i wasn't part of the three peaks this year to judge from this thread

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Stolly, that is one of the main benefits of being in a club. I was below the final steep climb on Whernside, supporting our Bowland members with water, bananas and boiled potatoes. I was amazed at the number of runners from far bigger clubs than Bowland, who begged water and food off me. Don't these bigger clubs organise any support for their members in longer races?
    What's happening to the old values of clubmanship - "If you aren't doing the event, get out and support your clubmates that are!"
    Technically I have been a member of Skipton AC but, partly due to me being one of the few there actively running fell races, partly due to moving to Settle last November and no longer training that regularly with them and partly due to me running as a Pony , I couldn't really deserve or expect any support from them. As it turned out they did have at least one other runner out, Phil Evans, and they did support him very well.

Wink Re: Three Peaks Litter

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Technically I have been a member of Skipton AC but, partly due to me being one of the few there actively running fell races, partly due to moving to Settle last November and no longer training that regularly with them and partly due to me running as a Pony , I couldn't really deserve or expect any support from them. As it turned out they did have at least one other runner out, Phil Evans, and they did support him very well.
    £15 will get you a nice green shiney vest with a naked man on the back of it, plently of 3 peaks support for next year and as many Wednesday night training sessions as you want. (Tommorrow meet Settle market place for a trip around Gigg Scar and Feizor if you fancy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblehead View Post
    £15 will get you a nice green shiney vest with a naked man on the back of it, plently of 3 peaks support for next year and as many Wednesday night training sessions as you want. (Wednesday meet Settle market place for a trip around Gigg Scar and Feizor if you fancy it.
    Sorry, not tomorrow, Wednesday