Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asics wearer seeks fell shoe

Question Asics wearer seeks fell shoe

Hi, i'm 'new', and i'm a lady, and i'm from down south..... I'm almost an alien!
    I'm wondering what footwear to wear for the cader race next month. For road running I wear asics kayano 13, which have eliminated my I T band troubles. Off road I wear the asics torano. Again, no aches and pains, but i'm concerned they won't have enough grip. Should I stick with the torano, and risk coming down head first, or can anyone recommend something supportive? I really don't know where to start!

Re: Asics wearer seeks fell sh

I've done the Cader Idris race for the last 2 years

2006...very wet and low cloud..thus the rocks were VERY slippy, so a good fell shoe was the order of the day

2007...warm and dry...thus everything bone dry, so trail shoes would suffice and do well as there is a lot of path/trail/road in this race.

However the race is VERY steep and rocky in places so any shoe for this race needs to be quite low to the ground in my opinion

its a brilliant race though....VERY highly recommended by me, although i wont be doing it this year as im injured at the moment, and for the the foreseeable future with IT band etc
    Hard Work, Hard Training and Suffering...Race Easy

Best get my purse out and go shopping. Good luck with your recovery.

if you havent done a fell race before the bit about 'being low to the ground' is very important. on a steep, rocky course you will almost certainly twist your ankle if you don't wear 'low profile' shoes. they don't necessarily have to be fell shoes as some trail shoes are low profile but definitely run in something that has a very 'narrow' midsole.

I wear Inov-8s but they don't suit everyone, however they have a wide range of models all of which are low profile. Some trail shoes that would be suitable include the Mizuno Wave Harrier, New Balance 800 and the new La Sportiva crosslites which are getting good reviews, inluding from a mate of mine who says they're excellent
    Last edited by Bladerunner; 29-04-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Did you get some new shoes LH?

Post Re: Asics wearer seeks fell sh

I did visit my local 'up and running' where I tried on the 2 innov8's they stock. Roclite caught my inner ankle and mudclaw's sole were too aggressive. the shoeguide.co.uk have given me a lot of information. I'd like to try the mudroc, terroc or flyroc. Or there's the Sportiva xlites... What's your experience of shoes? What terrain do you encounter? (I have narrow feet and arches flat as a pancake.......I think Walshes would crucify me on any hard ground.

I am in the same boat as you really. Have been hill walking for a few years and only started running last year. I have had two pairs of Salomon trail shoes and they are very hardwearing and comfortable but they are slippy on the mud and grass. So I am on a mission also to find perhaps an Inov8 shoe that is good on all terrain. Failing that another pair of Salomons for me!

the mudroc 290...their first ever shoe...is a good allrounder

[QUOTE=Bladerunner;126112]the mudroc 290...their first ever shoe...is a good allrounder[/QUOTE

Have found a pair of these in sale on website. What are the sizes like...do you tend to go a size bigger than your normal shoe?

I agree with Bladerunner! the 290's are a great all rounder. Comfy as well as grippy.

Mine have lasted since September and still going strong. Thats a couple of mountain marathons, various orienteering and score events, adventure racing, and long days out in the hills. Always my first choice shoe and done over 500 miles and still going strong.

Mine are exactly the same size as I would take in my asics road shoes. I find them similar in lenght and width to the Asics Cumulus.