Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lakeland Classics

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Re: Lakeland Classics

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    We'll have to do a Borrowdale recce mudlugger ; I did the (shortened) race last year and know the route. I'd say its on a par with the 3P but with rougher, slower terrain and a bit more to climb. I also did Langdale which was fantasic and will be doing that and the 3 Shires for sure this year.
    What is all this recceing rubbish?

Half the fun is turning up with only a rough idea of the route and no idea how bloody awful you are going to feel going up Gable and Dalehead!

Have a look at a map, write a few bearings down, turn up at the start line and enjoy the challenge...

Quote Originally Posted by No map, no compass View Post

Half the fun is turning up with only a rough idea of the route and no idea how bloody awful you are going to feel going up Gable and Dalehead!

Have a look at a map, write a few bearings down, turn up at the start line and enjoy the challenge...
    Me last year except I didn't write any bearings down . I think it was the descents that surprised me the most - the one down to Honiston was incredible, given I'd never done a fell race in the Lakes before.

Smile Re: Lakeland Classics

What, long As like Duddon Valley, Ennerdale, Wasdale, Borrowdale, Three Shires and Langdale?

If you have done the 3 peaks then the Duddon wouldn't be too bad, as it is shorter, but has much more climbing, is a lot rougher, and there are no flags to show you the way round. My times for the Duddon and 3 peaks are similar, if that is any guide.

Ennerdale and Wasdale are complete bas%@£ds and a 'kin long way, you can add an hour and a half to two hours on to your 3 Peaks time on a bad day and an hour on a good one!

Borrowdale is similar in length and time to the Duddon, though it is rougher and has less good running - the second half of the Duddon is very runnable if you are up to it.

Three Shires is one of the best races in the calendar, but is not really in the same league as the others as it is very short by comparison, though has a lot of climbing.

Langdale is also a fantastic race - longer than Three Shires, but considerably shorter than Duddon or Borrowdale, such that you can finish it running rather than staggering and don't have to sit down at the finish for half an hour before being able to contemplate moving anywhere (or is that just me?)

Basically, if you can get round the 3 Peaks you will probably get round the Duddon ok, so long as you have some experience of hill navigation, and once you have done that you can do the rest, though doing Ennerdale the week after the Duddon is a challenge in itself, though most of the Ennerdale field will be doing just that, but they are mad!
    Now thats alot of very useful information, I also understand why youre called no map and no compass eh.
    Thanks very much for sharing your experience, I am seriously thinking of the duddon and then taking it from there. I have map/compass skills and mountain experience, albeit walking and I aim to push my running up a level this year.
    why do we do?:wink:
    http://williamtitley.org

Thumbs up Re: Lakeland Classics

I do like the sound of that and may have no choice with the duddon as time/availabilty is against me eh.
    Cheers

We'll have to do a Borrowdale recce mudlugger ; I did the (shortened) race last year and know the route. I'd say its on a par with the 3P but with rougher, slower terrain and a bit more to climb. I also did Langdale which was fantasic and will be doing that and the 3 Shires for sure this year.
    Thanks Stolly, will you be doing duddon this year?

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Me last year except I didn't write any bearings down . I think it was the descents that surprised me the most - the one down to Honiston was incredible, given I'd never done a fell race in the Lakes before.
    You need to try the descent off Scafell Pike to the finish with 19 or 20 miles in your legs at the end of Wasdale, that is something else!

Go on, you know you want to...

Quote Originally Posted by mudlugger View Post
    Thanks Stolly, will you be doing duddon this year?
    I'm suddenly getting the urge

Reckon I will be there for Duddon! Looking forward to my first Lakes race of the year.

Now I need to start picking up the training again as did the 3 peaks off the back of a couple of hours training in the 6 weeks build up. You will not get away with such antics at Duddon.

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    Reckon I will be there for Duddon! Looking forward to my first Lakes race of the year.

Now I need to start picking up the training again as did the 3 peaks off the back of a couple of hours training in the 6 weeks build up. You will not get away with such antics at Duddon.
    Good advice AJF, Im straight back to long..ish run this weekend. I did my first lakes race last year (helvelyn) and loved it. I was aiming to do another this year when I spotted the classics. I probably wont do allof them but they do look interesting.

Talking Re: Lakeland Classics

I'm suddenly getting the urge
    Would be good to see a familiar face up in the mountains eh.