Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low-key BGR next two weeks

Low-key BGR next two weeks

Have to take a few days holiday in the next 2/3 weeks...quite fancied a low key BGR. In shape generally but in no way trained to required levels, I'm not particularly obsessed by times, etc. I just fancy a good, low-key day (plus) plod in the hills and having a crack. Don't want military planning etc. and not all that bothered if it take 25 or 30 hours. Flexible on dates -- weekday or weekend -- anytime next week or week after, possibly week after that. Wouldn't mind company. Anyone interested?

Re: Low-key BGR next two weeks

Bucket, in no way "anti", just trying to be original! With such a low key, casual " ain't interested in actually getting into the BG club" attitude (which I quite admire ), why do the actual BG? Why not devise a round of your own that has similar figures to the BG and just bumble your way round it at a pace that suits you? Take time-out to smell the flowers, listen to the birds singing and liesurely drink sweet fresh water from the tumbling becks.

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Bucket, in no way "anti", just trying to be original! With such a low key, casual " ain't interested in actually getting into the BG club" attitude (which I quite admire ), why do the actual BG? Why not devise a round of your own that has similar figures to the BG and just bumble your way round it at a pace that suits you? Take time-out to smell the flowers, listen to the birds singing and liesurely drink sweet fresh water from the tumbling becks.
    Why do it? Honestly? Because it's there. The fact of its existence simply defines something that I think is worth doing. It give shape to a particular challenge. Your question is totally misplaced in my view because it implies the only reason worth doing the BGR is to qualify to join the club. But I want to do it on my terms, and if I value smelling the flowers and the club means I can't do that then why on earth would I want to join a club whose principles mean foregoing the things that give me pleasure in life. I'm happy to do it my way; not someone elses. I suspect running up Dale Head at 3am is no less rewarding for having 25 hours on the clock rather than 21.

As to why not make up a round of my own, at some point I quite likely will. My mind is already working in that direction generally. But for now I quite fancy a competent bumble round the BGR in 22 or 31 hours...who knows which? Frankly, who bloody cares? Why don't you join me and we can argue the case on the way? :-)

Wheezing Donkey, that picture of the bucket brings back memories!
    Good luck to Bucket.
    Yiannis

Fellhound

Yeh, that's a posher bucket than the one WD keeps in his van though... Bet he's quite envious

I like your style Bucket - that's the way to do the BG - but don't forget that it's only "there" because someone invented it in 1932. Bob Graham was doing something that only a small minority of ultra fellrunners do - devising his own challenge. So I do understand where WD is coming from and I hope you do go on to invent your own route in the future.

Good luck!

My loose goal one day, at some stage, ifs buts and maybes not withstanding, is to just solo the Bob Graham route. No sherpas, no time limit and maybe no recces before hand. Call me anti social but I love running in the hills alone, navigating in my own 'special way' <cough> and overcoming (or maybe not overcoming) whatever is thrown my way. It sort appeals to the Spartan in me.

Added to that if I did it, only I would know what I did, how and when.

Bucket you've got the right idea I reckon. I was planning on doing the BG last year with just my dad to help out at the road crossings (does that make it "solo supported?"), partly because I didn't really know any other fell-runners at the time, but mostly because I got it in my head that doing it that way would mean more somehow. As it happened I got glandular fever this time last year which put a stop to it, but it's still something I intend to do, maybe even this year. I'd love to accompany you on your round, but other commitments over the next few weeks mean I can't.

Good luck!

Bucket - I will be at Fairfield Horseshoe on May 17th, so might be of minor use on 18th in Dunmail to Langdale area...
    do keep us informed as to date, and how this pans out...

I too have a (VERY) vague idea to one day attempt a "low-key" BGR:
    odd bit of "social" company (no sherpas/navigators)
    little bit of road support (nice to at least say hello to Lady Slugge/Sluglets en route!)

Stolly - no recces! - blimey, that's one thing I'd never considered!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    Have to take a few days holiday in the next 2/3 weeks...quite fancied a low key BGR. In shape generally but in no way trained to required levels, I'm not particularly obsessed by times, etc. I just fancy a good, low-key day (plus) plod in the hills and having a crack. Don't want military planning etc. and not all that bothered if it take 25 or 30 hours. Flexible on dates -- weekday or weekend -- anytime next week or week after, possibly week after that. Wouldn't mind company. Anyone interested?
    Good god the man has asked for help You lot
    Bucket, i am no where hear fit enough, due to op in feb but i could meet you on top of clough head and guide you through leg two, i have done it many many times, will chat all the way to Dunmail you can go on your tod up Fairfield but count me in brother!
    am in Munich next week so it would have to be in a few weeks time for me but am here if you need me!
    Going to try again....

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    Good god the man has asked for help You lot
    No he hasn't. He said "wouldn't mind company". Keep yer shirt on me old credit card...