Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Mount Famine

A shame this cracker clashes with the Intercounties at Lad's Leap not far over the hill (albeit, apparently, on a slightly denuded course missing out the pipe-line section and steep descent).
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    "Did you enjoy it?", asked ba-ba, who had sat down next to me on Platform 5 of Sheffield station, having noticed my Thames Hare & Hounds T-shirt and ascertained that I had also been at Mount Famine. I couldn't answer that one. What I am certain of, is that I am glad that I did it: the urge to put my strength and fitness to the test hasn't left me, and this, my first race of 2018, is probably the severest test of all-round fell-running ability available in a short race in the Peak District. There is a continual alternation of gradients, from the gentle and runnable to the desperately steep, both up and down; a variety of terrain; that bonkers start up Elle Bank; and a few hundred metres of road before the finish, just when you don't want it. The only thing that is missing is the bog monster: you have no excuse to stop moving, you can't immerse yourself thigh-deep in peat to take a rest.

I certainly felt that I gave it everything I had; I was exhausted at the finish, and I made a rare appearance in the top half of the results list (although with the clash with Lad's Leap, the competition wasn't as fierce as last year). But did I enjoy it? Do you enjoy running at the edge, trying to do your best but not overcooking it so that you cross the pain threshold? I don't know, but I hope to be back at Mount Famine next year.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Excellent account, anthonykay. I found the heat added a certain extra frisson of brutality to proceedings.

My photos can be found here for anyone interested. Flick through them fast enough and you get video.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    The May Queen race on the Friday, and the Lantern Pike Dash on the Sunday, are both on the FRA fixture list and on the Hayfield Fell Races website; but not Mount Famine. I hope this is only a temporary blip while arrangements for Mount Famine are being finalised (and I also hope, with somewhat less probability of success, that I am actually fit next May). It's probably the best AS race in the Peak District.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Last I heard the new race organiser was seeking some permissions. I too hope this goes ahead - it's a brilliant race.