Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post Marathon Recovery

Re: Post Marathon Recovery

No expert-but will eating different (correct) foods help you Freddie. Is the immune system that stressed by an event of this nature?

Im asking because i dont know-being a lazy bugger and all. Im amazed at the distances covered and interested in the effects on the human body.

What about the tribesmen from the jungle who supposedly ran a marathon a day or more when hunting in their native jungle?

How did they go on?

Sorry-dont want to deviate from your thread Freddie.
    Still too heavy to run

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Baz View Post

What about the tribesmen from the jungle who supposedly ran a marathon a day or more when hunting in their native jungle?

How did they go on?

I don't know, but no doubt David will be along in a minute to tell you its all about training.

You could do no worse than support your immune system with a supplement like, say, Simba from Little Herbal. Good immune modulator to help find the right balance, very few things do this.

Otherwise, some of the Chinese medicianl mushrooms (like cordyceps) can boost (if need be) and do a similar job to echinacea.

Make sure you need to boost as oppose to dampen the ol' immune system though....

david

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    I don't know, but no doubt David will be along in a minute to tell you its all about training.
    Or lack of in some cases .

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Baz View Post
    No expert-but will eating different (correct) foods help you Freddie. Is the immune system that stressed by an event of this nature?

Im asking because i dont know-being a lazy bugger and all. Im amazed at the distances covered and interested in the effects on the human body.

How did they go on?

Sorry-dont want to deviate from your thread Freddie.
    There seems to be a certain period of time that must pass, before the immune system recovers. Even if an athlete eats all the right food, it still won't speed this process up.The body does things in it's own good time.

If you think about it, most fell runners could walk 30miles a day without any ill effects.That's a 210 mile week.How many runners though could run 30miles a day?

Obviously something changes and that something is intensity.Running a flat out marathon makes huge demands on the resources of the body, and there is a price to pay for that.

That price is time.

Quite an interesting link about recovery. Nothing really new, but I was surprised that the article mentions taking a day of recovery for every mile raced!

See what you think.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/150.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    Quite an interesting link about recovery. Nothing really new, but I was surprised that the article mentions taking a day of recovery for every mile raced!

See what you think.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/150.shtml
    That recovery thing is surely aimed at first time marathon runners isn't it? In the past two weekends I've 3P'd (24 miles), done a 3 mile recovery, an 8 mile quite hard, another 23 miles on Saturday (not at full pelt admittedly), 12 on Monday quite hard and will in all likelyhood be doing another 8 hardish tonight. That will be what 70 miles all off road with hills in 12 days - 12 times less condensed as a BG attempt then

Fair comment Stolly. A month or so ago I had a week where I ran on 5 days and totalled just short of 10,000ft of climb. Didn't feel the need to take a week off as a result!