Thread: Hellvelyn

Hellvelyn

Can anyone tell me any details/checkpoints/ their experiences of this race (this year on May 25).
    Fancy giving it a whirl and was thinking of scooting up Lakes to do recce tomorrow. Is there a footpath at the race start (Bram Crag Farm)?
    Cheers.

david

Re: Hellvelyn

Previous thread here.

david

And another here.

Cheers for those links, useful stuff.

Looking at OS map there doesn't appear to be a footpath from Bram Crag Farm. Anyone reccied this race before, where did you start from?

From the farm there is a track behind the fields along the foot of the ridge for a couple of hundred yards, then the path doubles back and begins climbing.
    Steady at first then steeper.... and steeper.... and steeper. It would be one of those "this is ridiculous, I'm not going up there" sort of routes if you were out walking on your own, but in the race it doesn't seem that bad, mind you it is scaled on all fours for much of the way. Although I gotta say I was bricking it, but then I suffer from heights. Then you finally top out on the ridge and head up to Helvellyn, although I dropped out before then and skulked back down to the valley.
    Why walk when you can run.

I think it's worse on the descent when you are thinking - did we really come up there - and do we really have to go back down there!! It's worse when its wet - you end up going down on your backside!!