Thread: Yorkshire route

Yorkshire route

This weekend I went out for a long recce of a great challenge. I did it with backpack and broke it into two days with a wild camp solo and unsupported (apart from an ice cream in hawes). Think it deserves to be here instead of todays training.

It is cribbed from a longer route from a Tony Wimbush book and found on http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/yorkshire..._thousands.htm and is basically the middle section of a massive tour of the dales. Basically two fellsmans back to back! A lot of distance but not that bad on the ascent although a LOT of unmarked moors to run across. Start and finish at Dent train station (I camped half way up the first hill).

Reckon it could be done in around 15 hours by mere mortals all in one go. I will be going back before the nights get dark to do it all in one go. I think it is around 63 miles in total but not sure of ascent. If anyone can memory map it then would be much appreciated based on my route below. Reckon around 8000ft of ascent so not a great amount but just guessing.

SD 788 872 Great Knoutberry Hill
    SD 762 956 Swarth Pike Fell
    SD 808 966 Sails
    SD 809 991 Hugh Seat
    NY 803 003 Archy Styrigg
    NY 802 013 High Seat
    NY 828 053 Coldbergh Edge
    NY 928 046 Water Crag
    NY 919 031 Rogan's Seat
    SD 849 973 Great Shunner Fell
    SD 879 951 Lovely Seat
    SD 841 846 Dodd Fell Hill
    SD 874 867 Drumaldrale

I also did Nine Standard Riggs as well after Coldbergh Edge but only because it was nearby and I was curious. Technically it ain't Yorkshire so doesn't count.

I did Lovely Seat and Great Shunner fell the other way round mainly because I camped on Saturday half way up Lovely Seat, secondly because it meant a better run into hawes (not that I took it in the end due to water)

I also did Drumaldrale first before Dodd Fell Hill mainly because I was heading back to Dent so made sense.

Quite a bit of route choice but a nice loop of some of the wilder yorkshire fells.

Here is my route http://explore.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/os_routes/show/3503

I would probably make some changes to this route now with hindsight but I will not tell you what as finding out is part of the fun.

Re: Yorkshire route

The Yorkshire Two Thousands mentioned above was about 115 miles with 19000 feet. Suprisingly it did not prove very popular! It was completed by Tony Wimbush and Colin Brook (1982) and then by Pete Simpson (1986?) who set a record time of 29 hours 11min that still stands.
    Later in 1994 Tony Wimbush devised a 24 hour round in the hope that it might attract more interest. This was a round of 20 peaks and 88 miles based on the Nuttall's lists of 2000 footers. This was slightly more succesful in that 4 completions were recorded - Wimbush and Brooke in 1994 followed by Jess Palmer and Peter White in 1996.

By coincidence details of The Yorkshire Round will appear on a website later this month ....... watch this space!!

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MAN View Post
    The Yorkshire Two Thousands mentioned above was about 115 miles with 19000 feet. Suprisingly it did not prove very popular! It was completed by Tony Wimbush and Colin Brook (1982) and then by Pete Simpson (1986?) who set a record time of 29 hours 11min that still stands.
    Later in 1994 Tony Wimbush devised a 24 hour round in the hope that it might attract more interest. This was a round of 20 peaks and 88 miles based on the Nuttall's lists of 2000 footers. This was slightly more succesful in that 4 completions were recorded - Wimbush and Brooke in 1994 followed by Jess Palmer and Peter White in 1996.

By coincidence details of The Yorkshire Round will appear on a website later this month ....... watch this space!!
    Interesting!

Been looking for some good long distance challenges in the dales so would like to know the details of the 24 hour one. Is that the one that will be on the website? I looked at the nuttalls as a possible one so be interested to see the route they choose. You know what their time was?

May quiz you more if you are still gonna car share for Duddon?

Yes the 24 hour round will be on the website. Should be OK for Duddon!

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    This weekend I went out for a long recce of a great challenge. I did it with backpack and broke it into two days with a wild camp solo and unsupported (apart from an ice cream in hawes). Think it deserves to be here instead of todays training.

It is cribbed from a longer route from a Tony Wimbush book and found on http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/yorkshire..._thousands.htm and is basically the middle section of a massive tour of the dales. Basically two fellsmans back to back! A lot of distance but not that bad on the ascent although a LOT of unmarked moors to run across. Start and finish at Dent train station (I camped half way up the first hill).

Reckon it could be done in around 15 hours by mere mortals all in one go. I will be going back before the nights get dark to do it all in one go. I think it is around 63 miles in total but not sure of ascent. If anyone can memory map it then would be much appreciated based on my route below. Reckon around 8000ft of ascent so not a great amount but just guessing.

SD 788 872 Great Knoutberry Hill
    SD 762 956 Swarth Pike Fell
    SD 808 966 Sails
    SD 809 991 Hugh Seat
    NY 803 003 Archy Styrigg
    NY 802 013 High Seat
    NY 828 053 Coldbergh Edge
    NY 928 046 Water Crag
    NY 919 031 Rogan's Seat
    SD 849 973 Great Shunner Fell
    SD 879 951 Lovely Seat
    SD 841 846 Dodd Fell Hill
    SD 874 867 Drumaldrale

I also did Nine Standard Riggs as well after Coldbergh Edge but only because it was nearby and I was curious. Technically it ain't Yorkshire so doesn't count.

I did Lovely Seat and Great Shunner fell the other way round mainly because I camped on Saturday half way up Lovely Seat, secondly because it meant a better run into hawes (not that I took it in the end due to water)

I also did Drumaldrale first before Dodd Fell Hill mainly because I was heading back to Dent so made sense.

Quite a bit of route choice but a nice loop of some of the wilder yorkshire fells.

Here is my route http://explore.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/os_routes/show/3503

I would probably make some changes to this route now with hindsight but I will not tell you what as finding out is part of the fun.
    Using Memory Map, I make it 63 miles with 11546 feet of ascent.

Details of the Yorkshire Round - 24 hour challenge are now at www.gofar.org.uk. Anyone takers?