Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Fellsman V the BG

The Fellsman V the BG

I'm trying to get some idea as to where does a BG stand in comparison to a Fellsman. Is it twice as hard??
    Does completing a Fellsman mean that you have a good chance of completing a BG?

Re: The Fellsman V the BG

Certainly completing the Fellsman is a good steppng stone to building up the confidence in your own mental and physical stamina that is necessary to do the BGR. Others may have a different view but I don't think you can compare the routes as one is boggy and rough and the other is relatively rocky, firm going with mostly good paths and, of course well over double the ascent. There is no simplistic answer as it would be misleading to say one is twice as hard or 150% as hard.

An 18 hour Fellsman is considered by some as an indicator of a sub 24 hour
    BG

I think the two things to think about
    1)is the amount and type of climbing much rougher and steeper.
    2)the lack of stops, There is always plenty of resting spots on the Fellsman with plenty of food but on the BG you have 4 of which depending on shedule might be a total of 40 minutes

The first 3 times I did the Fellsman were in the 19-24 hour time bracket as a walker. Last year I did 17.27 and felt really good at the end. I have no worries of the distance or being on my feet for 24 hours but the climbing....

It depends on what you are good at, but I would put it at least 50% harder if not twice as hard.

There are plenty of attempts going on in the next 6 weeks so why don't you try do a couple of legs, It will give you an idea of what it's like.

My first experience of the BG was helping Plumbum do his and I was wrecked after the first leg!

I take it you did the Fellsman this year centaur what time did you do?

Having failed on the Fellsman and succeeded on the BG, I'm in no position to comment. However the Fellsman was the first really long event I had tried and hadn't got feeding and pace sorted out.

A friend did the Fellsman in just over 19hrs and did the BGR the following year in 23:30

I managed to get round the Fellsman in roughly 17hrs 30mins and felt Ok at the end. Was planning to focus on mountain marathons up until the end of the year and then kick of my BG training in January. However, if the BG is twice as tough as the Fellsman then I might have a major rethink!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Centaur View Post
    I managed to get round the Fellsman in roughly 17hrs 30mins and felt Ok at the end. Was planning to focus on mountain marathons up until the end of the year and then kick of my BG training in January. However, if the BG is twice as tough as the Fellsman then I might have a major rethink!!!!!!!
    Never done Fellsman, did a double Tankies before attempting BG, but from talking to others I would say a 17hrs 30min fellsman is a good foundation to launch from.
    A BIG desire to complete the BG is the main qualification, in my humble opinion, its what kept me going, and going, and going, and going, and going and finally completing .

Fellhound

I think the two routes are totally different in character so not really comparable. BUT, doing either of them requires huge staying power and mental strength so if you can do one in a respectable time then you should be able to do the other (with adjustments to your training focus).

For the BG you need to concentrate on climbing and descending BIG hills!

This year's Fellsman was my 15th time on the event and was by far my fastest in 17hrs 33 min feeling pretty fresh at the finish. This was the culmination of my training for the BGR in 2 weeks time, so I'm about to find out how the 2 compare

I'm under no illusions that the BGR will be much MUCH tougher. Just hoping for good weather.

DB

The fellsman is a fantastic event for giving you the experience of the highs and lows of these Ultra endurance events. It gives you a good lession on how you deal with feeling rubbish with 20 miles to go etc.
    I think it defintely is a good indiction of how a BG would go. If you can complete the Fellsman in a decent time (171/2 is decent) then you can train yourself to complete the BG as long as your happy with the mental side and you don't panic at the size of the undertaking. Time on the route will help here!
    Yes the terrain is different but I don't think it makes a massive difference. I completed my BG a couple of weeks ago and I hadn't done half the training in the lakes that I hoped I would. (mainly cause the weather was too bad - I was out in it but found it very difficult to get whole legs covered when the wind so strong or the show was so deep!)
    I got loads of climbing in on a stair Master at the gym and I was worried about the descents as I hadn't done the 10000ft days that I thought I would. I needn't have worried as I was still able to fly off hindscarth like I was racing. I actual found the decending easier than the climbing! Of course my quads where trashed and I couldn't walk for a week but then I was expecting that.