Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Fellsman V the BG

Re: The Fellsman V the BG

This is just at the glint in the eye stage but I've been doing shed loads of running for a while now and feel pretty much fitter than I've probably ever been. Also I've been doing all my running in the hills too and for sure circa 7,000 feet plus of climb each week, albeit Yorkshire Dales type hills. So the idea of having a crack at a BG has once again raised its little Roger Moore like eyebrow at me

I'm fellsmanning again on 28th April and I'm also then running the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path (circa 186 miles) in May, so it will be really interesting to see how I get on with them both. After that injury aside I don't think I'm planning on losing fitness or curtailing my running every day so maybe, just maybe a BG could be worth having a go at next? What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    This is just at the glint in the eye stage but I've been doing shed loads of running for a while now and feel pretty much fitter than I've probably ever been. Also I've been doing all my running in the hills too and for sure circa 7,000 feet plus of climb each week, albeit Yorkshire Dales type hills. So the idea of having a crack at a BG has once again raised its little Roger Moore like eyebrow at me

I'm fellsmanning again on 28th April and I'm also then running the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path (circa 186 miles) in May, so it will be really interesting to see how I get on with them both. After that injury aside I don't think I'm planning on losing fitness or curtailing my running every day so maybe, just maybe a BG could be worth having a go at next? What do you think?
    Count me in for leg 4
    Going to try again....

Super Moderator

The running you're doing now would be a great base from which to start BG training for a 2013 round Stolly. I'm up for some recces and supporting a leg
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Ooo how exciting. I'd be up for supporting you on it (of course) and you could come with me when I support my friends who are doing it in June. You'd get a feel for some of the legs and it would be good fun too. I just need to not sprain my ankle after 6miles this time!

'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

At a boy Stolly!

Im up for a leg!

Which leg(s) Harry on?

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    The running you're doing now would be a great base from which to start BG training for a 2013 round Stolly.
    Sounds like a pretty good base for a 2012 round to me... do some recces in June and pack in as much climbing/descending as you can, then taper and peak for mid/late July.

Why put it off? Carpe diem and all that

Hey Stolly, since you LOVE Pendle Hill so much, you'll have to start doing reps on Big End.

If you see reference to the "Care to join me thread", and according to Scotts height of Big End, you'd only need to do 14 reps to bag your 10,000ft a week of climbing!

Quote Originally Posted by elliptic View Post
    Sounds like a pretty good base for a 2012 round to me... do some recces in June and pack in as much climbing/descending as you can, then taper and peak for mid/late July.

Why put it off? Carpe diem and all that
    Yeah I'm inclined to agree (I had to look up carpe diem by the way ). I've just checked my garmin records and so far this year I've averaged 45 miles a week and almost 7,300 feet of climb. The climb admittedly won't have included lots of bonkers steep stuff like you get in the Lakes but, on the other hand, I do my best to run all hills rather than walk if I possibly can. I think my hill climbing is pretty darn good all in all although, funnily enough, I have a feeling that steep descents might give me some problems, as will all the frigging rocks and rubble and slate you get in the lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Hey Stolly, since you LOVE Pendle Hill so much, you'll have to start doing reps on Big End.

If you see reference to the "Care to join me thread", and according to Scotts height of Big End, you'd only need to do 14 reps to bag your 10,000ft a week of climbing!
    I quite like Pendle actually (although not nearly as much as SS ) but honestly hill reps up any hill can f**k right off

I think my hill climbing is pretty darn good all in all although, funnily enough, I have a feeling that steep descents might give me some problems, as will all the frigging rocks and rubble and slate you get in the lakes.
    Only one way to sort that out!

Regarding hill reps, I actually found 'em worthwhile as much for the extra descending as the climbing if you do them somewhere steep enough... mine were up & down Glastonbury Tor, did get tend to get some odd looks from the resident hippie/spiritual/chanting types as I was rounding the tower on top and dropping off again for the 3rd/4th/5th time...

Didn't go overboard with those sessions though, just used them as a weeknight top up.